A couple more NooB Questions

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi All,
Many thanks for the info on my other thread.
This is an awesome resource.
I've been experimenting with it. Cooked us out one night. It was great.
Couple more Questions about the Jotul 600 Firelight.

The Damper Lever.
The lever goes from wide open to maybe 1/4 open smoothly. Then I have to really push it to get it closed the last 1/4. Once it's all the way closed, you can't open it with just your hand.
I have to give it a few taps with the door handle, then once it gets past that first 1/4, it moves free again. Is this normal for the Jotuls?

The top thermometer.
Jotul Says to put it on the corner.
There's a huge difference from where they say to put it and on the top. Between 100 and 150 degree difference.
So, that means to me that the corners can go up to 600 when it gets really cold and then the top will be about 750. That sound about right?

Oh yea, How quiet are those super quiet doorway fans? Do they work? I could use a couple. Where's the cheapest place to get them?

Thanks kids.
Keep Warm.

Hello Stonehouse, on the fan what I use is a 3" computer fan. It is a 110v fan and you have to be right next to it to hear anything. Mine came out of a old power supply. You might be able to get one from the junk pile at a computer store. It has to be a older one as the newer ones are 12v. Oh and thanks for calling me a "kid" it has been a long time.
Don

Darn I'm doing good tonight. I'm both a kid and a genius all in one night. Now if I can only get my wife to believe it. Also this one seemed strange to me, but you want the fan blowing into the room with the stove. I have always had it blowing out but have turn it around this year and it does work better.
Don

The lever goes from wide open to maybe 1/4 open smoothly. Then I have to really push it to get it closed the last 1/4. Once it’s all the way closed, you can’t open it with just your hand.

Most new stoves you are not supposed to be able to fully close the air, you might be pushing it past its stopping point and I imagine if you continue you will damage something.

stonehouse said:
The lever goes from wide open to maybe 1/4 open smoothly. Then I have to really push it to get it closed the last 1/4. Once it's all the way closed, you can't open it with just your hand. I have to give it a few taps with the door handle, then once it gets past that first 1/4, it moves free again. Is this normal for the Jotuls?

The air control should be smooth over the full range. We had a complaint about this last year. I'll have to look it up, but maybe you'll beat me to it.

Status
Not open for further replies.