A little more heat from the BKK?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Beetle-Kill

Minister of Fire
Hearth Supporter
Sep 8, 2009
Colorado- near the Divide
Finally installed it this weekend. Break-ins were uneventful, house smelled like curing paint, CAT was active for 4 hours on the last fire. Burn times are impressive so far, with about half the load still going after 12 hrs., but the heat doesn't seem to be there. Fans are on med./high, T-stat at 2-2.5 or so, CAT is active and in the upper 1/3rd. on the guage. Just not putting out the heat I was hoping for. I've played with the T-stat to see if I might have a reverse wound spring, but it seems to work like it should. Wood is last years split Pine, so moisture content shouldn't be a factor. Compared to the Timberline, this thing is pretty anemic. Am I expecting too much? Suggestions? Thanks, JB

Beetle-Kill said:
Finally installed it this weekend. Break-ins were uneventful, house smelled like curing paint, CAT was active for 4 hours on the last fire. Burn times are impressive so far, with about half the load still going after 12 hrs., but the heat doesn't seem to be there. Fans are on med./high, T-stat at 2-2.5 or so, CAT is active and in the upper 1/3rd. on the guage. Just not putting out the heat I was hoping for. I've played with the T-stat to see if I might have a reverse wound spring, but it seems to work like it should. Wood is last years split Pine, so moisture content shouldn't be a factor. Compared to the Timberline, this thing is pretty anemic. Am I expecting too much? Suggestions? Thanks, JB

Wow. This is a first for a Blaze King. There are several BKK owners on here. They will chime in.

North, where do you suggest the stove top thermo. be placed? I didn't want to place it near the CAT thermo.. I'll get the flue probe in tonight. Thanks.

Are you comparing this to an older radiant stove, is the BKK considered a convective stove?

I don't know if the Timberline would be considered a radiant heater or not? Solid cast doors, no glass, just thermal mass. I will say it outweighed the BKK by quite a bit.

Beetle-Kill said:
I don't know if the Timberline would be considered a radiant heater or not? Solid cast doors, no glass, just thermal mass. I will say it outweighed the BKK by quite a bit.
Now I think I understand, I went from a Nashua (radiant heat monster) to a PE Summit (convective type) and am still getting used to the difference but I think I am just starting to like it. Give it some time, I find my PE loves dry oak and will stay hot for hours with only a small amount of wood.

Beetle-Kill said:

Yes, look at the clearance requirement differences. Your BKK is side shielded and a lot more convective. What you are going through sounds a lot like what moosetrek first went through when they got the T6. Best to not judge the BKK by radiant heat, but by the room temp and wood consumed to get to that temperature.

https://www.hearth.com/econtent/index.php/forums/viewthread/49883/

Stop going for those record long burns and turn it up?

Just looked up the differences, so yeah the Timberline was radiant. I may have to form a convection deck like the Ultra to direct the air flow to where I want it. The learnin' continues and it's good.

sumtin dont seem right. i can barely even stand next to the stove after 10 minutes on 3. sure that wood is dry?

I would turn it up if you need the heat. I can burn a load of hardwood fully in 12 hours running it wide open. In my opinion, that is somewhere between 3 and 3.5 with the blowers on high. At 2 to 2.5 and no fans, that same load would go 24-30.

Yep. You can get time or you can get heat. Only so many btus in those chunks of wood and you can extract'em fast or extract'em slow.

SolarAndWood said:
I would turn it up if you need the heat. I can burn a load of hardwood fully in 12 hours running it wide open. In my opinion, that is somewhere between 3 and 3.5 with the blowers on high. At 2 to 2.5 and no fans, that same load would go 24-30.
Man those are great burn times.
I can't wait for cold weather to give this thing a workout.
My old BK would go 10-11 the most in cold weather without re-starting on the lowest setting...no cat or thermostat.
Still I thought it was a pretty good stove.

BeGreen said:
What you are going through sounds a lot like what moosetrek first went through when they got the T6.

Thanks for the thread, BG, I read it with great interest.

Not meaning to threadjack, but did Moosetrek ever figure out what was going on? Was his house really leaky? Did he find his T6 sufficiently toasty in the end? Enquiring minds want to know. ;)

RenovationGeorge said:
BeGreen said:
What you are going through sounds a lot like what moosetrek first went through when they got the T6.

Thanks for the thread, BG, I read it with great interest.

Not meaning to threadjack, but did Moosetrek ever figure out what was going on? Was his house really leaky? Did he find his T6 sufficiently toasty in the end? Enquiring minds want to know. ;)

Short answer is yes the house was leaky. Long answer was that he was used to the Englander getting their bedroom up to 100° and thought there was something wrong with T6 when it didn't operate in the same fashion.

Thanks BG and BrowningB,

Wow, what a difference familiarity and a better sealed and insulated house made for Moosetrek!

Researching through threads, I've now seen BrotherBart and BeGreen repeatedly diagnose problems remotely with impressive accuracy (go ahead and blush). You guys should get a TV show where you pose as psychics. Uhm... what color shirt am I wearing?

Mine would melt the paint off the walls if I left it running at 2-2.5! Even with the dial straight up and down it holds the house at 75* without any trouble with it being 15-20* oustide

I'v heard they are pretty crappy heaters. I'd sell it and buy an old Federal Airtight.

Matt and trolling.

Beetle-Kill said:
Just looked up the differences, so yeah the Timberline was radiant. I may have to form a convection deck like the Ultra to direct the air flow to where I want it. The learnin' continues and it's good.

They would probably sell you one, I believe they are an option on all but the ultra. Not sure I would get one though.

I bet given some time and playing with the combination of thermostat setting and fan speed you will find a setting that will get you where you want to go. My guess is the fans are set a bit too fast. Maybe even shut the fans off for a bit to see how it radiates heat. I know those old heavy plate stoves can throw a lot of heat, but that BKK should too.

Sorry I haven't chipped in, but my home computer is being worked on so no net at home right now. BG, thanks for the thread. I may have some similarities to moosetrek, as far as what I had, and what I have now. Plus my house is far from air-tight to boot. I could get the front room up to 69 °F last night, with the CAT thermo almost maxed, but that was about it. the wood is dry, been split and stacked almost 18 months now, so I don't feel that's an issue. I think the stove is operating as it should, just not quite what I expected. Plus it's helping to point out the areas I need to address- windows, insulation, etc. I will say this, the burn times so far are fantastic. As soon as this storm moves out, I'll be able to try for 24 hrs. (worst case, I bet I could trade it to the people I sold the Timberline to.)- yeah right.

My old Nashua is setting out in my shop so if I freeze this winter I will put it back in (I might just shoot myself first).

oldspark said:
My old Nashua is setting out in my shop so if I freeze this winter I will put it back in (I might just shoot myself first).
Just got done a minute ago talking to my wife about possibly trying out a new stove. I too love the massive heat that pours off the old Nashua. What I don't like is filling it full of wood every 2-3 hrs. Been reading about the long burn times and I'm getting curious. However just can't quite make the jump and would hate to install another stove and find out on a 20 degree blowing day that I wish I had the old monster in there. Don't mind throwing the logs in on those days.
I liken this to the pellet stove debates. Some likke them and rave about how well the warm the house. I had one many moons ago and I think they suck. My best example of a pellet stove it to point 2 hairdryers at yourself on lowest setting. Thats about how much heat they give off. My FIL still uses it today and when ever I walk in the basement where it is I don't hardly feel a thing. Seems a waist to me.

Status
Not open for further replies.