A perfect start

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

begreen

Mooderator
Staff member
Nov 18, 2005
South Puget Sound, WA
Today was one of those days when the fire gods were smiling. Maybe it's the solstice. I did a cold light off this morning with a full load of wood in which I left a valley in the middle for a top-down start. The fire started normally and soon was burning well enough to close the stove door. Around 300ºF (probe temp) on the stovepipe I saw secondary combustion begin. In another 5 minutes or so the flue was up to 350º and I closed the air down 50%. When it reached 400º I put a log in to fill the valley hole and let it go another 5 minutes then closed it down to 75%. The flue temp sank about 25º, but combustion still looked good and in another 5 minutes the fire was burning well enough for me to close down the air to its normal 85% closed. Life is good.

Normally I don't babysit the starting fire this closely, but it was a lazy Sunday morning, so why not. I just checked the stove at an hour after lighting and was delighted to see that the flue was holding around 400º and the stovetop was up to 600ºF. I was expecting to see the STT to be more like 500º. Today was definitely one of my better starts. It was pretty much textbook perfect. That doesn't happen every time.

Those that read threads on fire starting here should know that every start of a fire is different. We often make it sound like an automatic process with clearly defined results, but when starting a fire you are working with nature and physics. The results are variable. Sometimes the starting fire can be disappointing and other times it may be right on. There are so many variables that to do it well one needs to have all the right combination of ingredients working together. It's not just instrumentation that makes a good fire. It takes dry wood, proper loading, dry kindling, proper air mix and timing. That is the art of burning.

All around pleasing when that happens.

Today was one of those days when the fire gods were smiling. Maybe it's the solstice. I did a cold light off this morning with a full load of wood in which I left a valley in the middle for a top-down start. The fire started normally and soon was burning well enough to close the stove door. Around 300ºF (probe temp) on the stovepipe I saw secondary combustion begin. In another 5 minutes or so the flue was up to 350º and I closed the air down 50%. When it reached 400º I put a log in to fill the valley hole and let it go another 5 minutes then closed it down to 75%. The flue temp sank about 25º, but combustion still looked good and in another 5 minutes the fire was burning well enough for me to close down the air to its normal 85% closed. Life is good.

Normally I don't babysit the starting fire this closely, but it was a lazy Sunday morning, so why not. I just checked the stove at an hour after lighting and was delighted to see that the flue was holding around 400º and the stovetop was up to 600ºF. I was expecting to see the STT to be more like 500º. Today was definitely one of my better starts. It was pretty much textbook perfect. That doesn't happen every time.

Those that read threads on fire starting here should know that every start of a fire is different. We often make it sound like an automatic process with clearly defined results, but when starting a fire you are working with nature and physics. The results are variable. Sometimes the starting fire can be disappointing and other times it may be right on. There are so many variables that to do it well one needs to have all the right combination of ingredients working together. It's not just instrumentation that makes a good fire. It takes dry wood, proper loading, dry kindling, proper air mix and timing. That is the art of burning.
Jeez, no wonder so few people heat with wood! ;-)

• Haha
Reactions: begreen
So glad to see temps drop into the mid 30s this morning. BG and I have been in a “warm snap” for a few days.

It's the little things in life that makes us wood burners happy

Reactions: begreen
The stove still has some nice big coals. Stove top is at 350º and the room is at 73º. This one will be a 11 hr burn. It's 44F outside so I am not pushing it.

Reactions: 2fireplacesinSC
The stove still has some nice big coals. Stove top is at 350º and the room is at 73º. This one will be a 11 hr burn. It's 44F outside so I am not pushing it.
Sounds like this stove is a perfect set up for you.

Congrats on almost 80,000 posts!

Reactions: 2fireplacesinSC
When it reached 400º I put a log in to fill the valley hole and let it go another 5 minutes then closed it down to 75%.

Not to spoil the romance of a good fire with technical questions, but do you load your stove for a cold top-down something like this?
L L K L L
L L L L L
L L L L L

or (if two levels)

L L K L L
L L L L L

where, looking in the stove, L=log/split and K=kindling (North-south loading)

And your "valley hole" is where the kindling was?

More like this with a few balls of newpaper and kindling on the top where the K is, but it depends on the size of the splits on the bottom layer. There might just be 4 across if the splits are large.
L L K L L
L L L L L
L L L L L

My Wife doesn't understand it takes time to build a fire, if it doesn't have big flames in a few minutes she pushes me out of the way and fills it with Kindling, then will get mad when we run out of kindling, next stove will be Gas, flip a switch and dial in your fire

Reactions: Easy Livin’ 3000
My Wife doesn't understand it takes time to build a fire, if it doesn't have big flames in a few minutes she pushes me out of the way and fills it with Kindling, then will get mad when we run out of kindling, next stove will be Gas, flip a switch and dial in your fire
Sounds like you just need more kindling!

Not to spoil the romance of a good fire with technical questions, but do you load your stove for a cold top-down something like this?
L L K L L
L L L L L
L L L L L
or (if two levels)
L L K L L
L L L L L
where, looking in the stove, L=log/split and K=kindling (North-south loading)
And your "valley hole" is where the kindling was?
So today's fire was more like 2.5 rows high because the splits were thicker. Our wood comes from varying density trees so every fire is different.

So today's fire was more like 2.5 rows high because the splits were thicker. Our wood comes from varying density trees so every fire is different.
It's the variety and small aspects of randomness that make wood burning entertaining and rewarding.