A question for my fellow stove/wood freaks...

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

keninmich

Dec 26, 2010
south-central michigan
I have had a Woodstock Keystone for 11 years now and have always found it to be a major PITA to clean the glass with those andirons in the way.

The question is.....what are all of your opinions on me just taking them out?

I fully understand why they are there but i am of the opinion they are about 80% decorative.
I dont think falling wood is really an issue with how small the firebox is and by the time something in there does "shift" and fall towards the glass it really does not weigh a whole helluva lot by then.

I will likely send Woodstock an email and get their thoughts on it too, but i would really like to hear from a few of you out there.

Thoughts?

They should design them to drop in and out easily.

I am not sure I understand what you're talking about, but my door glass has nothing between it and the wood. Even the biggest, heaviest log that will fit in my stove can't fall very far (small stove) so it doesn't have much momentum when it hits the glass.

I've thought about the same thing but since my glass stays mostly clean I don't mind them being in the way for how little I clean the glass. Another thing to think about is the andirons and bracket they bolt into also help hold the glass in. If you remove them I'd replace them with a bolt to hold that bracket in place.

I have an H300 stove with removable andirons . I like them being there " just in case" but I can see where they would be a real problem if I couldn't remove them to add wood . Anyway you could make them easily removable ?

I've owned them with andirons (Dutchwest) and without (my current Jotul). The D.W. was also a side loader, so I never needed to load from the front, so they didn't ever get in the way. To tell the truth, I sort of wish the Castine had them. When I stoke it full, inevitably, I get a split that wants to roll outwards and lay against the glass. That in and of itself is not a problem, but it becomes one when I have to refuel. As careful as I am in opening the door, I typically get a load of hot coals falling onto the ashlip, the hearth, and sometimes even my wood floor. I then spend the next frantic moments scooping them up an tossing them back in the stove. Late at night, or after a couple of beers, it livens up things considerably, and not in a good way. A couple of easily removed andirons would be welcome....to pin the coals in place while you pushed them back with a shovel.

Thanks for the replies...

I think i will take them out today when the stove cools down and i give it a good cleaning.

Thanks Todd for reminding me that they do indeed go into the bracket that helps keep the glass in place. I will have to replace the bolts in their holes even after i remove the andirons.

I will burn it a few days without them and see how i like it.

Status
Not open for further replies.