A Second Liner in the Flue??

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Rob From Wisconsin

Minister of Fire
Nov 20, 2005
East-Central Wisconsin
I inherited a a re-lined flue that probably isn't best for my application.
It appears to be almost rectangular (7 or 8"), and also is un-insulated.
Since the liner is secured in place, I'm contemplating placing a secondary liner (5.5" - 6")
inside w/ insulation, which I'm hoping to will improve my draft a bit, but most importantly,
reduce creosote buildup in the upper section of my flue.

Anyone tried this???

A few on here have, you can reline another liner if you want.. It just brings the job up to code.
Rob From Wisconsin said:
I inherited a a re-lined flue that probably isn't best for my application.
It appears to be almost rectangular (7 or 8"), and also is un-insulated.
Since the liner is secured in place, I'm contemplating placing a secondary liner (5.5" - 6")
inside w/ insulation, which I'm hoping to will improve my draft a bit, but most importantly,
reduce creosote buildup in the upper section of my flue.

Anyone tried this???

I'd probably reline it with a 6" SS liner and possibly pour in the insulation. If you only have 7" or 8", you might not have room to wrap insulation around the liner.

Actually, I would like to keep in the existing liner and put a smalller liner inside of it,
because it would likely be a major pain to remove, and the existing liner only goes down
to a couple of inches above where the stove pipe enters the flue (open bottom).

I wasn't sure if I made that clear.....

Yep, Wet1 was saying to drop another liner into the existing liner but if you use .5 inch kaowool insulation then you might have a problem getting it down your pre-existing liner. Which is why he said you might want to use a pour in insulation.

Rob From Wisconsin said:
Actually, I would like to keep in the existing liner and put a smalller liner inside of it,
because it would likely be a major pain to remove, and the existing liner only goes down
to a couple of inches above where the stove pipe enters the flue (open bottom).

I wasn't sure if I made that clear.....

Wet1 said:
I'd probably reline it with a 6" SS liner and possibly pour in the insulation. If you only have 7" or 8", you might not have room to wrap insulation around the liner.

Seconded... I would do exactly what Wet1 said.

Contact Magnaflex (above), he'll take really good care of you and he offers a first rate product!

Status
Not open for further replies.