1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)
    Caluwe - Passion for Fire and Water ( Pellet and Wood Hydronic and Space Heating)

A time to noodle — for the fun of it

Post in 'The Wood Shed' started by OldLumberKid, May 5, 2013.

1. OldLumberKid

OldLumberKid Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    Sandyland
    Sometimes the saw sits — this time surgery kept me out of the game for a while. But last week I stacked and split, and this week it was time to make sure the thing still starts. — It did — first time.
    [​IMG]
    I had a recalcitrant big, heavy ole round that didn't want to succumb to the axe (I'm sure it would have eventually) but, what the hey ... I just felt like noodling anyway! It's fun, it makes the saw happy and the engine warm in a hurry.

Plus I was bummed the Rangers lost to the Capitals, so it was time to hit the wood pile...
    This one was a little tricky, being longer than my 16" (18") blade ... once I got about 2/3 of the way through, I took the fiskars to it to finish it off.

Darn lovely piece of tree--should be furniture not firewood, mostly almost as white as the driven snow, inside — very heavy, 100# in a 16x18" round. Smelled very nice and creamy too. Almost too nice to split!

Could have mixed the noodles with olive oil and garlic and eaten them almost ;) they looked so fresh and appetizing, but of course, it's wood, so ... NOT! I guess I must have been hungry. So then I lit up the BBQ, but that's another story ...
    ScotO, fishingpol, HDRock and 2 others like this.

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. bogydave

bogydave Minister of Fire

Loc:
    So Cent ALASKA
    Nice picture
    Pretty wood cut by a nice new saw.

Glad you're healed & back in the game :)
    OldLumberKid likes this.
  3. OldLumberKid

Loc:
    Sandyland
    Why thanks much bogydave. I guess I'm in a couple of tanks or three at this point but can't help cleaning up after. It may never get really dirty!

I am curious though, anyone else out there do the occasional noodle for the fun of it?
  4. Backwoods Savage

Backwoods Savage Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Michigan
    Not me. Not sure why but I've never liked it so simply do not do it.
  5. Thistle

Thistle Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Central IA
    I do quite often when roughing out turning blocks,chunks & slabs from logs 3 ft or less in length.Its much easier trimming any piece to finished size on bandsaw when they're no more than 30 lbs,so often the saw is used to break them down to a more manageable size.Anything longer the Alaskan mill gets set up.

I save 4-5 large birdseed/cat litter bags worth in the shed for firestarter,any extra is scattered around the processing area, as mulch between certain garden plants around the yard.Nice to walk on,makes a good weed barrier too.Sure dont take long to get a bushel or 3 accumulated.

Attached Files:

6. OldLumberKid

Loc:
    Sandyland
    I don't like it.
    I love it.

Noodler's delight. Those blocks look pretty square, too.

Is it just me and my lickle 250 saw and safety chain, or does noodling a large piece of oak/maple take a bit longer to accomplish than a buck cut? (Not that I'm complaining; who isn't happy sawing?)

On another note, gonna cut up a stump or two for the wife for garden adornments, plant stands, etc. She's already picked out a few choice angle cuts and thick cookies from my woodpile ... gotta share the spoils.
  7. Woody Stover

Woody Stover Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Southern IN
    What is that, Maple?
    What is that in the first two pics, Sugar? Last pic with "Old Yeller" looks like Cheery...
    OldLumberKid likes this.
  8. Thistle

Thistle Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Central IA

First 2 pics are Honey Locust,3rd is White Pine
    OldLumberKid likes this.
  9. OldLumberKid

Loc:
    Sandyland
    I think, or white oak. Very very heavy, real thin and fine grained bark. Ieft it a few months, used it as a chopping block, and it did not want to split, like hittin' concrete. But once it had a partial noodle cut in it, it split nicely.
    [​IMG] <back when it was fresh ... check that very fine furrowing on the bark.
    (the stuff in the background is just miscellaneaous bits and bobs)
  10. nrford

nrford Minister of Fire

Loc:
    NW lower Mi.
    Norway Maple
    ScotO and OldLumberKid like this.
  11. Woody Stover

Loc:
    Southern IN
    I like taking a toughie that won't split easily and using it for a chopping block. I'll buck it to a nice, low 8" block. I like to keep the ax out of the ground.
    OldLumberKid likes this.
  12. OldLumberKid

Loc:
    Sandyland
    The photo all the way at the very top of the thread is the same round post-noodled and split. (it was sacrificed after the NYRangers last loss to the Washington Capitals) It was a block for a while -- and yes, I hear you on keeping the axe out of the ground, because that's where it often ends up without a block. I'll be looking for a new block come next fall, if not before. *" and a slight angle sounds good.

I do have a temporary candidate, although unless the wife has other plans for it.
  13. OldLumberKid

Loc:
    Sandyland
    Thanks. No way am I returning the pieces to the kingdom of Norway, though.
    Finders keepers!
  14. Woody Stover

Loc:
    Southern IN
    Yeah, then even if a round was cut with a slight angle, you can still get it set up the way you want it...
    OldLumberKid likes this.
  15. fishingpol

fishingpol Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Merrimack Valley, MA
    I had this posted in another thread. I noodle chunks for woodworking projects. It seems like about the only time I run the saw lately.

Spalted maple.

IMG_3448.JPG IMG_3449.JPG

I will not ever noodle red cedar again. It looked like I butchered an animal in the snow. Kind of freaked people out for a few days.

IMG_3056.JPG
    ScotO, OldLumberKid and Thistle like this.
  16. Thistle

Thistle Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Central IA

They can & usually do take a bit longer,yes.Even with a big saw,skip tooth chain & slightly lowered rakers.It also depends on wood species,grain direction (knots/crotches and or irregular grain will slow it down as well)
    ScotO and OldLumberKid like this.
  17. TimJ

TimJ Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Southeast Indiana
    don't you have to lay the round on its side to get the stringy noodles instead of the round sitting upright and going through the face ?
  18. Woody Stover

Loc:
    Southern IN
    Ya.
  19. OldLumberKid

Loc:
    Sandyland
    Yes, my first time, a while back, it took only one very, very short attempt end-on to discover it had to be done length-wise. It was kinda embarassing. I only got a quarter of an inch in before I realized something was very wrong: one way yields sawdust, the other yields noodles.

There I am wondering as I saw -- "ah, this takes some time I wonder if those big saws with full chisel chains make short work of this?" -- Question answered.
  20. OldLumberKid

Loc:
    Sandyland
    That is indeed so very freaky. But the color makes a nice change. Red oak also yielded some nice colored noodles, but without the impression of bloodshed.
  21. fishingpol

fishingpol Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Merrimack Valley, MA
    Spalting is fungus running through the wood. It is no good to breathe when cutting or working it up. Tiger or curly maple is my second favorite, along with quarter sawn white oak. Oh, the list goes on...
  22. OldLumberKid

Loc:
    Sandyland

Ever come across any Alder ?... makes a good Fender guitar body. I'm curious though how long they need to season that (bird's eye?) Maple to get a good solid neck that won't warp.

But the spalted wood -- that would make a very nice natural guitar body.
  23. jdp1152

jdp1152 Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Massachusetts
    100% Norway Maple. Invasive tree, cut it all down. I've got a cord of it that was cut last March, split in August and measuring 17% right now. Burned a few smaller splits last night just to check it out. Beautiful secondary burn after just a few minutes of charring.
  24. OldLumberKid

Loc:
    Sandyland
    [​IMG]
    Thanks for the ID.
    This is what it looked like inside (in the shadows) after the round was part-noodled then split after about 6 months lying around (hence the discoloration on the end). In the sunlight it would have been blinding bright. 103# 16x18" round begged to be furniture.

I want more if I can find it. Don't see too many trees around here with bark that fine so should be easy to spot. Especially now I know what to look for in the leaf shape.
    Thistle and ScotO like this.
  25. ScotO

ScotO Guest

I love noodling trees.....did these big white oaks in March up at our scout camp for benches around the campfire.

Ended up with around a 55 gallon drum of noodles. Saved them up, they make fantastic tinder and firestarters when dried out good.....

2013-03-23_16-42-16_744.jpg 2013-03-23_16-04-08_414.jpg 2013-03-24_09-17-40_372.jpg