1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)
    Caluwe - Passion for Fire and Water ( Pellet and Wood Hydronic and Space Heating)

A time to noodle — for the fun of it

Post in 'The Wood Shed' started by OldLumberKid, May 5, 2013.

1. OldLumberKid

OldLumberKid Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    Sandyland
    Now would you look at that -- freaking noodle benches, wassup with that for a campfire treat.

Had to be some kind of workout moving those bad boys (270# apiece?) around.
    ScotO likes this.

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. ScotO

ScotO Guest

Oh, we do have some video of that.....I'll have to get it off of my cousin's husband, it's on his phone. We skidded them out of the woods with my GMC 2500......and the kids had a blast with that!!
  3. OldLumberKid

Loc:
    Sandyland
    Which saw(s) had the pleasure of slicing those monsters — 372 XP? and how long did it take for each log -- or were you having too much fun and the time just flew?
    ScotO likes this.
  4. Thistle

Thistle Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Central IA
    While we're on the subject..... 20" x 6 ft Black Walnut blowdown stump at edge of wooded 2.5 acres/steep ravine behind parsonage at parent's church.Turned it into a bench for the front yard September 2012.Ended up with 3-4 small turning blocks & 1 heaping wheelbarrow of fuel from the scraps.

Attached Files:

HDRock, OldLumberKid and ScotO like this.
  5. jdp1152

jdp1152 Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Massachusetts
    Easiest way to id Norway is to break a small limb. The sap is like milk. The stump will keep oozing it and feed all kinds if nasty fungus growth if you don't hit it with brush killer. Good looking trees that just don't belong here.
    OldLumberKid likes this.
  6. fishingpol

fishingpol Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Merrimack Valley, MA

Never seen alder before. My FIl has a Fender Strat from the mid 1960's. They probably kiln dry lumber to get it stable.

Spalted maple in its' early stages can be nice and strong, but the stock I have is a little past what I like it to be.
    OldLumberKid likes this.
  7. ScotO

ScotO Guest

I used both the 372XP and my trusty 041
    AV Super. The XP with the 20" bar ate through that white oak like nobody's business....the 041 with the 28" bar finished them off..
    OldLumberKid likes this.
  8. OldLumberKid

Loc:
    Sandyland
    Alright I think you and Scotty have given me two blueprints for a bench, more excuses to noodle.
    Now I gotta find the good wood.
  9. OldLumberKid

Loc:
    Sandyland

With the price of guitars today it makes one wonder.... but then there's that tricky business of frets and neck angles.