AAAUUGGGHHH!!! No fire for a week

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

wendell

Minister of Fire
Hearth Supporter
Jan 29, 2008
NE Iowa
Got a call from my wife at work today and said that the glass on the stove had broke after she put new wood in. I got home tonight and it's nt just broken. It is BROKEN!

I always want to support the local dealer but they wanted $125, onedayglass wants $48. I have to wait for shipping on either one so I guess I'm fireless.

I'm really depressed (not to mention cold!).

Bummer. Too bad there weren't any local glass places. or you couldn't fabricate a piece of sheet metal as a temporary.

Matt

wendell said:
Got a call from my wife at work today and said that the glass on the stove had broke after she put new wood in. I got home tonight and it's nt just broken. It is BROKEN!

I always want to support the local dealer but they wanted $125, onedayglass wants $48. I have to wait for shipping on either one so I guess I'm fireless.

That's too bad. Should be called onedayglassixdayshipping.

There has to be a glass place within an hour drive no? Maybe I just have it too good.

Related - my last trip to the Stove shop and my guy was trying to sell me the etched glass for my Olympic. He was down to $100, which would be good if I really cared about my 10 yr old cloudy glass...

Been there. It was the dead of winter, so we used several layers of aluminum foil to create a temp block, and burned supervised fires daytime only.

So what happens when you break the glass? More than just a crack. Does the fire run away? overfire? do you try and kill the fire? Seems like it is most likely to be broken as part of loading a huge load of wood which is about the worst time to lose air control.

Nah, it didn't run away on me. You lose a lot of heat, actually. Too much air going straight up, doesn't feed the fire, just rushes over it. A small crack would likely be more dangerous than a total breakage. You ever opened the doors full when burning a full load? It dies down quite a bit in my experience. If you open the door a crack, however, it will take off like a rocket.

wendell said:

Well then they aren't really one day glass if it is going to take a week. %-P

Such was the case for me last week. No fire for a week. It's a lesson worth learning though. Man, that glass is definitely expensive. I feel for you.

I keep a back up emergency glass in the garage ;)

They shipped the glass the same day I ordered it but the only reasonable shipping was the standard rate. The 3 day rate was more than the cost of the glass. The overnight rate was $200. I did order 2 so I will have a backup and my wife now knows not to have any wood touching the glass!

I've also learned that checking the UPS tracking information every hour doesn't make the package come any faster!! <G>

wendell said:
They shipped the glass the same day I ordered it but the only reasonable shipping was the standard rate. The 3 day rate was more than the cost of the glass. The overnight rate was $200. I did order 2 so I will have a backup and my wife now knows not to have any wood touching the glass!

I've also learned that checking the UPS tracking information every hour doesn't make the package come any faster!! <G>

I hear that. Doesn't work for me either.
What really drives me nuts is seeing the shipping was scheduled, but it hasn't been picked up yet.
I think tracking is more to drive you nuts in anticipation, than anything else.

Status
Not open for further replies.