1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)
    Caluwe - Passion for Fire and Water ( Pellet and Wood Hydronic and Space Heating)

about to buy sooteater..help

Post in 'The Gear' started by steeltowninwv, Nov 12, 2011.

1. steeltowninwv

steeltowninwv Minister of Fire

Loc:
    west virginia
    im about to buy a sooteater...heres my questions...i think my ss liner is 6 inches...do i measure around or across to make sure?....also do u all use a vac with the sooteater?..anything special with the vac?..and how do i measure how long my chimney is?...so i know if i need extra rods....these may be dumb questions, but sure would help a hillbilly out...thanks in advance

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. delp

delp Member

Loc:
    pittsburgh, pa
    measure across for the diameter of the liner. as far as how long the chimney/liner is you'll have to measure as best you can. also, it's sometimes cheaper to buy two sooteaters than a few extra rods, but that'll depend on how many rods you'd need. i think the box comes with 6 three footers for a total of 18 feet.
  3. Joey

Joey Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    Northeastern USA/ Dirty Jersey/Ocean County
    If ya get two kits,,,you should have plenty of rods....unless ya have a 40 foot chimney. You will also have an extra cleaning head, should sometime happen. Good luck....you will love that product.
  4. shawneyboy

shawneyboy New Member

Loc:
    NE PA
    +1 on buying 2 sets. You get extra rods and an extra head along with the extra drill adapter (I am sure I will misplace mine so I like having a second).. For the flue diameter, you measure across, but there is a cutting guide in the back of the manual that makes it very easy. One other suggestion that was made before is to loosen the string pieces and slide them so you only cut one side. You essentially will have string refills at the ready without having to buy anything.

I don't use a vac, but I have access from an outside T so ....
  5. Danno77

Danno77 Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Hamilton, IL
    Kite string with a weight and drop it 'til it hits the bottom. Pull it out and measure it.