About what percentage of Americans heat with wood

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
the percentage is in single digits. I wish I had the official statistics I read somewhere

A larger % this year, now that fuel oil has hit & stuck @ $3.oo /gallon in ct.
I was down lowe's last week & they were sold out of medium , large & extra large stoves in the plainville, ct store. Only had 1- 1000sq ft model left in the store.

It probably varies by region, here in Southwest Va. likely 25% of households burn wood. It more rural and wood is more readly available and in most cases Free. It's usually cut on family owned woodlands.

That small percentage is made up of truely independent Americans with a heritage dating back to the time when this country WAS by the People for the People.

And I might also ask, "of that small number who burn wood, how many actually understand how to burn wood safely and efficiently?" I know I didn't for a long time!

Bio mass which is a lagre percentage of wood heat is 3 percent used in heating homes in USA

Not sure where I read this, but it's about 5% for all alternate fuel sources, nationwide. In some rural areas there is no gas or fuel oil service and the alternative has been electric or propane, but the percentage of folks going to wood or pellet/bio fuel is rapidly increasing. As far as who "knows" how to burn, it's why we are all here, to improve our understanding of the products we use and the equipment that burns them. I learn something new every week, so I am not the master of my destiny , yet. :wow:

UncleRich-"I am not the master of my destiny , yet. "
Of course you are-unless... your spouse is ! :roll:

I am sure the total number of americans using wood, or wood products is small-
but in ruael areas like here, it is much more common.
Over the last few years, seen a lot more OWB's installed- along with more and more chimneys going up,
but so far (thank goodness), log length loads have held steady.

By contrast, my wife and I have a summer home along the Atlantic coast in rural Newfoundland. There, I would guess, 80% of the homes use wood as their primary heat source. Oil or electricity is used for back-up.
Chip

Jim Walsh said:
Clownfish99 said:
According to 2005's American Housing Survey, about 1.3% of year round occupied American homes use wood heat as their primary source.

http://www.census.gov/hhes/www/housing/ahs/ahs05/tab1a5.html

And if you look down the page you will see the # of homes with more than one source of fuel. So it looks like 7.5% have a fireplace/stove.

And if you disregard the large number of homes where heat isn't a real concern ie: southern US, the % of wood burning homes is probably much higher. I know that here in southeastern CT there are many woodpiles between my house and my workplace. I'd guess its between 4 and 8%

According to the US census data below, 13% of the US population lives in counties with a population smaller than 50 000. I'm guessing that this is the most likely market for any form of biofuel heating. Code and bylaws are more restrictive in more densely populated areas and the logistics associated with obtaining and storing firewood (and bylaw restrictions against firewood storage in sub divisions) pay a role too.

Obviously many more people have fireplaces and may light a fire now and then, but not heat the entire season. Then there is the age factor, which would suggest that at least 25-30% of the above numbers may be sufficiently old as to have issues with splitting, stacking and carrying firewood. An additional factor is availability of wood in some cases (either since the area may be too arid - Nevada ). Anyway, it is clear that the potential market is fairly large and it is just a balance between the pain in the wallet and willingness to do the work associated with fuel.

http://www.census.gov/popest/counties/files/CO-EST2006-ALLDATA.csv

Attachments

• US population rural1.JPG
    US population rural1.JPG
    80.8 KB · Views: 169
I lived in Newfoundland for three years in the mid nineties and yes everyone there seemed to heat with wood, especially in the outports. A lot of people there would make their own stoves. I saw so many different contraptions it was amazing

I just read an article on bloomberg.com and the stats from there are as follows....

"Wood was the primary heating source for about 1.3 percent of U.S. households in 2005, according to the most-recent Energy Department data. That was down from 7.1 percent 20 years earlier. Seven percent of homes use heating oil, 58 percent natural gas and 30 percent electricity. Propane and other fuels account for the remainder."

http://www.bloomberg.com/apps/news?pid=newsarchive&sid=aULJHfYrYsYs

Status
Not open for further replies.