Accentra FS combustion fan

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
So it's been in the 90's with oppressive humidity and I'm thinking about my stove....... What's wrong with me?! Anyway, my combustion fan works perfectly, but I feel it's getting a bit noisy. So I'd like to replace the bearings in it with some new ceramic ones to help it last a bit longer. My problem is getting off the dang fan! I've had it soaking with pb blaster and I still twisted up 2 Allen wrenches. ( not cheap ones either) any bright ideas would be a help. Btw... Torch didn't help either.

More heat is my suggestion. I had to replace the combustion motor on my Accentra, and that set screw was a monster to get out. Finally, heat did the trick. Of course, you don't want to cook the motor either, so you need high temp concentrated on the seized part and maybe a heat dam. I know others have just drilled out the fan around the screw, sacrificing that part to save the motor and shaft

When I put the set screw back in, I used anti-seize compound, as I do on most of my stove parts. It is now part of my yearly maintenance to pull the fan, clean it and re-apply the anti-seize compound.

I'm thinking maybe a really big soldering iron. If I put the fan with the set screw at 12:00 and apply the heat at 6:00 it will rise up through the collar on the fan and maybe expand the metal around the set screw. This should be much more precise than the torch. I'll try anything at this point, cause if that don't work it's just gonna be the dremel and a cut of wheel! A new fan is only~ 20 bucks, I'll buck up for that np.

So I finally got that s o b of a fan off today. Tried the huge soldering iron, nope! Tried several cuts with the dremel, nope!!! What finally did it was drilling a small hole in the fan hub laterally right next to the shaft. Omg what a pain in the neck!!!!

Thanks for letting us know what worked ... I have to stock up on anti-seize!

Status
Not open for further replies.