Harman Combustion fan blade removal

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

rickwai

Minister of Fire
Nov 1, 2011
ohio
If you have worked on many Harman stoves you know the set screw on the comb. fan blade rarely comes loose. Everey once in awhile it will with out persuasion. normally I heat the collar with a torch which ruins the allen wrench after a couple on times. Yesterday i heated collar cherry red and allen wrench just rounded off along with the set screw stripped out. I did not have my dremel to cut the fanblade and shaft so I thought I was sunk for the day. Then I thought well maybe I could try drilling it? I used a 3/16" approx bit and it naturally wants to go to the joint between collar and shaft. I quickly figured out that the collar is a pretty soft metal and drilled thru quickly. I put some side pressure on the drill bit and it cut clear thru the collar. the I went to opposite side and drilled thru and blade came loose. 10 min. tops and blade was off. I always replace the blade when replacing motor anyway and I keep all the blades on the truck. Even after 14 yrs of working on stoves I am still learning:)
1572517929365.png

Reactions: jp99 and railfanron