1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)
    Caluwe - Passion for Fire and Water ( Pellet and Wood Hydronic and Space Heating)

Accessory Chimney Opening in Kitchen that is now closed off.

Post in 'The Hearth Room - Wood Stoves and Fireplaces' started by jadz, Feb 8, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jadz

jadz New Member

Loc:
    Nova Scotia
    Hello everyone! My first post.

I have just purchased my first home which has a two flue chimney. I pan on putting an insert into the Fireplace, which is one one flue. The second flue is connected to the oil furnace in the basement, but also has a 'thimble' (?) opening in the kitchen which has since had a metal cap put on it. I assume this would have been for a kitchen stove at one point?

I am wondering what the proper way to seal up the opening would be?

Attached Files:

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. moondoggy

moondoggy New Member

Loc:
    Long Island NY
  3. Corie

Corie Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Halifax, VA
    Not to step on toes here, but there is a much better and safer product than those for this purpose.

http://www.kschimney.com/store/product.php?pid=213

Insert, tighten screw and the flue is sealed air-tight and insulated from the dwelling. Eliminates the need to furnace cement a flue stop in and is definitely going to seal better.
  4. moondoggy

moondoggy New Member

Loc:
    Long Island NY
    man, you can step on my toes any day. you the man.
    (i was searching for something to answer his post, and bored at work, knew there had to be a better answer).
  5. jadz

jadz New Member

Loc:
    Nova Scotia
    I was actually thinking that it might be good to block the opening to the thimble at the flue, as it currently acts as a bit of a shelf that debris can build up on (which after re-reading moondogs post is what he was suggesting too).

When I took of the cover that is there now (made of galvanized metal) there was some buildup in the opening.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.