1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)
    Caluwe - Passion for Fire and Water ( Pellet and Wood Hydronic and Space Heating)

Acetylene is EXPLOSIVE!

Post in 'The Inglenook' started by GrahamInVa, Jan 6, 2012.

1. ironpony

ironpony Minister of Fire

Loc:
    mid-ohio
    i am calling total bs
    if there was enough force to blow all the panels off
    the concusion would of crushed him alive (dead)
    it was an enclosed space with no escape
    flash that large he would have to be burned
    then again he is really stupid if he was tranporting a welding cylinder
    inside that closed car, suprised no one pointed that out
    also people that stupid tend to live when things like this happen

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. tfdchief

tfdchief Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Tuscola, IL
    madrone, Isn't an acetylene bottle laid horizontal dangerous by itself? I seem to remember that from somewhere. Can you enlighten?
  3. tfdchief

tfdchief Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Tuscola, IL
    Never mind and sorry, I found it:
    Special Effects
    The acetylene is actually dissolved in the liquid acetone which is held in porous material. This can have some strange effects:
    • When the cylinder is transported horizontally, the acetone will slowly redistribute in a horizontal manner. If the cylinder is placed vertically again, it will take a long time before the acetone is back in its original position. The result is that liquid acetone comes out with the gas-flow of acetylene in the torch. This can have a dramatic influence on the torch flame; it becomes very unstable. This is often referred to as “spitting†as it looks like spitting. If a cylinder has been transported or stored horizontally, you should wait at least 2 days after placing the cylinders in its normal vertical position before using them.
    • Always transport and store the acetylene cylinders vertically and ensure that the safety cap is placed correctly over the top valve of the cylinder. Vertical racks should be used during transport and special wall-mounted brackets should be used for storage onboard not only ensuring vertical storage but also quick removal in case of a fire.
  4. ash-man

ash-man New Member

Loc:
    Portland OR
    I can easily buy the explosion part, the force of the expansion can force the heat out and away very fast preventing any burn. The blast destruction itself is evidence of this. Having a hard time seeing the guy in the pics being inside the FJ at the time though.
  5. Dune

Dune Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Commonwealth Of Massachussetts
    I totaly buy this, I have been seeing similar pictures at welding suppliers my whole life.
  6. ironpony

ironpony Minister of Fire

Loc:
    mid-ohio

the explosion yes
    him sitting in the truck
    nope
  7. Dune

Dune Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Commonwealth Of Massachussetts
    Is there any doubt that the force of the explosion opened the airbags? That the vehicle disintegrating absorbed a lot of energy?
    I agree it seems a stretch, but I think it is possible.
  8. begreen

begreen Mooderator Staff Member

Loc:
    South Puget Sound, WA
    Can't say for sure, but it looks like an explosion to me. But never having seen one like this I dunno. Here are some others for comparison. Seems like the most important warning is don't ever lay an acetylene tank on its side.

http://www.msha.gov/alerts/acetylenenearmiss/acetylenetruckexplosion.htm
    http://www.esdjournal.com/static/Kansas/dauer truck.htm
    http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f37/oxygen-acetylene-tanks-860096/#post7948880

and maybe the websource of the OP?
    http://www.wheelsnews.com/galleries...ne-explosion-inside-inside-fj-cruiser-photos/