Acetylene is EXPLOSIVE!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
i am calling total bs
if there was enough force to blow all the panels off
the concusion would of crushed him alive (dead)
it was an enclosed space with no escape
flash that large he would have to be burned
then again he is really stupid if he was tranporting a welding cylinder
inside that closed car, suprised no one pointed that out
also people that stupid tend to live when things like this happen

madrone said:
inevitabLEE said:
Acetylene valves are inset with no way of opening the valve unless the handle was left on for transport. If that was the case the guy was a moron for leaving it on the valve.

Not always. Many acetylene cylinders come with a valve handle attached. Depends on size and style. All the ones I use at work have a valve handle, and it would be easy to nudge it open. In that case, however, he should have at least had the cap on to prevent bumping the valve.

When I teach welding classes, I stress that one should never, ever carry cylinders inside a vehicle, not even the trunk. It's just stupid. Explosions are one thing, but suffocation is the more likely horrible accident. There's a lot of unbreathable gas crammed in a cylinder. Welding oxygen tanks included.

I have to agree that I smell a huge pile of BS on this story though.
madrone, Isn't an acetylene bottle laid horizontal dangerous by itself? I seem to remember that from somewhere. Can you enlighten?

tfdchief said:
madrone said:
inevitabLEE said:
Acetylene valves are inset with no way of opening the valve unless the handle was left on for transport. If that was the case the guy was a moron for leaving it on the valve.

Not always. Many acetylene cylinders come with a valve handle attached. Depends on size and style. All the ones I use at work have a valve handle, and it would be easy to nudge it open. In that case, however, he should have at least had the cap on to prevent bumping the valve.

When I teach welding classes, I stress that one should never, ever carry cylinders inside a vehicle, not even the trunk. It's just stupid. Explosions are one thing, but suffocation is the more likely horrible accident. There's a lot of unbreathable gas crammed in a cylinder. Welding oxygen tanks included.

I have to agree that I smell a huge pile of BS on this story though.
madrone, Isn't an acetylene bottle laid horizontal dangerous by itself? I seem to remember that from somewhere. Can you enlighten?
Never mind and sorry, I found it:
Special Effects
The acetylene is actually dissolved in the liquid acetone which is held in porous material. This can have some strange effects:
• When the cylinder is transported horizontally, the acetone will slowly redistribute in a horizontal manner. If the cylinder is placed vertically again, it will take a long time before the acetone is back in its original position. The result is that liquid acetone comes out with the gas-flow of acetylene in the torch. This can have a dramatic influence on the torch flame; it becomes very unstable. This is often referred to as “spitting†as it looks like spitting. If a cylinder has been transported or stored horizontally, you should wait at least 2 days after placing the cylinders in its normal vertical position before using them.
• Always transport and store the acetylene cylinders vertically and ensure that the safety cap is placed correctly over the top valve of the cylinder. Vertical racks should be used during transport and special wall-mounted brackets should be used for storage onboard not only ensuring vertical storage but also quick removal in case of a fire.

I can easily buy the explosion part, the force of the expansion can force the heat out and away very fast preventing any burn. The blast destruction itself is evidence of this. Having a hard time seeing the guy in the pics being inside the FJ at the time though.

I totaly buy this, I have been seeing similar pictures at welding suppliers my whole life.

Dune said:
I totaly buy this, I have been seeing similar pictures at welding suppliers my whole life.

the explosion yes
him sitting in the truck
nope

Is there any doubt that the force of the explosion opened the airbags? That the vehicle disintegrating absorbed a lot of energy?
I agree it seems a stretch, but I think it is possible.

Can't say for sure, but it looks like an explosion to me. But never having seen one like this I dunno. Here are some others for comparison. Seems like the most important warning is don't ever lay an acetylene tank on its side.

http://www.msha.gov/alerts/acetylenenearmiss/acetylenetruckexplosion.htm
http://www.esdjournal.com/static/Kansas/dauer truck.htm
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f37/oxygen-acetylene-tanks-860096/#post7948880

and maybe the websource of the OP?
http://www.wheelsnews.com/galleries...ne-explosion-inside-inside-fj-cruiser-photos/

Status
Not open for further replies.