Adapting oval stove pipe to round

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

rwabdu

Oct 14, 2017
South East Michigan
I have been searching for an oval to round adapter for my stove unsuccessfully and wondering if anyone has any advice.
Its an old 1900 era laundry stove. The outlet is about 7.5 x 3.5 inches and my chimney pipe in my garage is 6 inches diameter.

It did also come with the pipe next to it in the picture which fits on the outlet but the top diameter of the pipe with it is 3 inches inches, so I would need a 3 inch to 6 inch conversion piece of stove pipe as well...

perhaps more trouble than its worth to install because I'll have to cut every piece of wood in half that goes in it as it is tiny, and it needs a huge clearance, but it would be nice to have in the garage tho and the chimney pipe is already installed. Any advice would be appreciated.

Attachments

• * image1.jpeg
    * image1.jpeg
    62.5 KB · Views: 9,466
  • * image2.jpeg
    * image2.jpeg
    46.6 KB · Views: 2,639
  • Screen Shot 2017-12-16 at 5.26.44 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2017-12-16 at 5.26.44 PM.png
    364.4 KB · Views: 1,161
I think if you start with a regular two foot long piece of 6" diameter pipe you will be fine.

Assemble the pipe seam so you have a 6x24 cylinder. What you will want as you smush the one end unto an oval is keep the seam in the first piece of pipe on the long side of the ellipse, facing either front or back.

Wear gloves, take your time. If the seam on the pipe starts sliding, tap it back to plumb before you proceed with more smooshing.

Reactions: Woody Stover
Just keep the seam on the flattest part of the curve and you should be fine.

Or you could buy some quality pipe from a hearth store that has a welded seam. I’d be pretty worried about that cheap pipe coming apart if it was ovalized.

Reactions: Woody Stover
After getting the pipe squared away make sure the stove is set atleast 36" all the way around from any combustibles.

Or you could buy some quality pipe from a hearth store that has a welded seam. I’d be pretty worried about that cheap pipe coming apart if it was ovalized.
It works fine with snap lock pipe

Ok. I’m not willing to take a chance on the stuff, it’s junk. Why risk it?
We still use it all the time i have it in my house. My father has had the same snaplock pipe for over 10 years. It is fine. Yes welded pipe is better but we cant carry much of it in the van so we would never be able to replace pipe as needed we would always have to scedule a return visit.