Advice for using damper on wood insert

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

SwordWord

Dec 24, 2013
Weymouth MA
Hi all ... I'm pretty new to burning (just started in late March) and I'm not real sure yet of how to effectively use the damper on my Neo 1.6. wood insert. Perhaps someone can point me to a thread that has previously covered something like this?

I typically have it all the way open whenever I put in new wood, until it all seems to be ignited. Then I close the damper about halfway, or even further, until I'm still seeing flames (especially secondary burn).

But I wonder: if I'm trying to bring a cold house up to temperature (i.e. up to, say 70 degrees or so in the main level), should I be keeping the damper all the way open until I get there? Is the stove at it's hottest with the damper 100% open? Does an insert throw off less heat as the damper is closed? I'm not sure I can tell yet.

Again, I'm pretty new and still experimenting. But maybe I can get a kick-start with some basic info on effective damper use?

You will get the most heat from the insert by gradually closing down the air supply the way you are doing. That will promote secondary burning and will give you a hotter stove. For the longest burns, turn it down until the flames get lazy and then wait 5 or so minutes for the flame to regain strength, then turn it down again until the flames start to get lazy and billow from under the baffle.

I would suggest an IR thermometer to measure stove temps. The hotter the outside of your stove the more heat it will transfer into your room. I can get my PE Super insert into the 700 to 750 F range with the air fully closed provided I use dry wood. That's about as hot as you want to have the stovetop because above that you risk structural damage to the stove (overfiring usually starts at 800 F). Depending on the particular stove, draft, and wood the air setting can be different to get to those temps.

Just a heads up on your terminology, you do not have a damper on your stove. What you have is an air intake control. Burning with the air on high with really dry wood will quickly run your insert into overfire territory with an established fire, you will get the most heat with the damper at about 50% so you are feeding air to the secondary air tubes at the top as well as primary, once you get that insert up to temp you will want to throttle it down to make sure you do not overfire it (my overfire is 900+).

I would recommend getting a digital thermocouple so you can monitor your temps in real time and be able to have a high temperature alarm so you do not overfire your insert:

AT100: http://www.auberins.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=17&products_id=279
Thermocouple: http://www.auberins.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=20_3&products_id=307

You can hold the thermocouple down to the stove with a high powered magnet. You can't buy a better piece of mind, especially if you are new to wood burning.

Thanks, guys, for the experienced wisdom, info, and advice.

I think I will start with a hand-held IR Thermometer, especially since I'm also curious to see the temps around my windows and doors in this 1960s Cape, especially during cold weather (which might, now, have to wait until next winter). The coupler might yet be something I'll want as well. I'm all about peace of mind ...

I'm already working the "air-intake" (thanks for the distinction) with good effect.

I'm crawling up the learning curve on this wonderful insert. As I read somewhere in this forum, learning how to use your particular stove is like a musician learning to use his instrument. It's more art than science.

Status
Not open for further replies.