Advice needed, new to wood stoves.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Boze1981

Nov 18, 2018
Milwaukee
My wife and I just bought a Lake house that used to have a wood stove installed. The previous owners removed the wood stove and the hearth. I'm planning to build a new hearth and get a modern wood stove and chimney installed. I have several questions and it's hard to trust the fireplace installers because it seems like they are more intrested in sales then giving me good advice.

1. What should I use as a base to tile my hearth on? I have heard Durock and Micore 300. It will be on top of the plywood subfloor and covered in tile

2. I'm planning a Vermont Castings Encore or Intrped II. Are there any terrible problems with those stoves?

3. The wall behind the stove area contains wood paneling, glass patio doors, and vertical blinds. Any problems to consider if recommended clearances are complied with?

4. Any tile types to stay away from?

I have attached a picture of the area. You can see the seam of the carpet from where the old hearth pad used to be. It's roughly 6'x6'.

Cheers!

Attachments

• Advice needed, new to wood stoves.
    20180815_073802.jpg
    113.3 KB · Views: 183
Catalytic or secondary combustion stove? What lake? :)

I would pic a different stove

How many sq.ft. do you want to heat, and how is the insulation and air-sealing?

You just go out there for the weekend?

How many sq.ft. do you want to heat, and how is the insulation and air-sealing?
The house is 1800 sq/ft. We have a boiler heating system with 2 zones. The basement is usually sealed off and has it's own radiant heat. The rest of the house is about 1300 sq/ft and seems to hold heat pretty well. It will he our first winter with the house and it is not currently our full time residence.

That's very open ended. Can you give some reasons? Recommendations?
Are you talking about used VC stoves, because they previously had problems with expensive refractory parts that needed to be replace every few years. I think their current models are more durable, though.
You may know a little about stoves, if you had heard of VC. If you don't know much, you might want to read up here on cat vs. non-cat, etc. There's also a good "sticky" thread at the top of the forum topic page. To heat 1300 sq.ft. you don't need a huge stove. For any modern stove, you need wood that's been split and stacked in the wind for two years to dry it, but you might get away with one year for soft Maple, Tulip Poplar etc. Getting your wood lined up is the first step. Wood sellers will say their wood is "seasoned" but they are usually guilty of over-optimistic thinking. ;hm

Are you talking about used VC stoves, because they previously had problems with expensive refractory parts that needed to be replace every few years. I think their current models are more durable, though.
You may know a little about stoves, if you had heard of VC. If you don't know much, you might want to read up here on cat vs. non-cat, etc. There's also a good "sticky" thread at the top of the forum topic page. To heat 1300 sq.ft. you don't need a huge stove. For any modern stove, you need wood that's been split and stacked in the wind for two years to dry it, but you might get away with one year for soft Maple, Tulip Poplar etc. Getting your wood lined up is the first step. Wood sellers will say their wood is "seasoned" but they are usually guilty of over-optimistic thinking. ;hm
Yes they have made improvements. But they are still downdraft stoves which are temperamental and the durability of the combustion package is better but still nowhere near other stoves.

Great information. I have read through a few forums and websites since beginning the quest for a stove. It seems like every model and brand has their own "unique" characteristics when it comes to maintenance and operation. I would be buying a NEW VC from a dealer and I'm open to other options. It seems a close second would be a hearthstone stove.

When it comes to wood, wouldn't the same restrictions (or consideration) apply to any woodstove (not just VC)? There are a ton of firewood dealers in SE Wisconson and I also season my own red oak firewood for my current fireplace (different house).

But they are still downdraft stoves which are temperamental and the durability of the combustion package is better but still nowhere near other stoves.
Yeah, there are a few nerds here that crave the thrill of attempting to run a downdraft stove, but most folks are better off getting a more predictable stove.
a close second would be a hearthstone stove.
Which Hearthstone appeals to you? Make sure you get a good dealer that will go to bat for you if you have a problem...webby3650 says Hearthstone doesn't deal with customers directly, or blows them off.
When it comes to wood, wouldn't the same restrictions (or consideration) apply to any woodstove (not just VC)? There are a ton of firewood dealers in SE Wisconson and I also season my own red oak firewood for my current fireplace (different house).
Yep, any modern stove needs dry wood in order for the re-burn to work..you won't get much heat otherwise. If you burned Red Oak in your fireplace, you may have seen moisture steaming out the ends of the splits, even after two years drying; It's some of the slowest-drying wood there is. If you buy wood, dry it the same as you would fresh stuff that you processed yourself.

There are 3 or four firewood suppliers that are kiln drying wood in the metro area- Pricy of course. Key is to ask how long it is in the kiln. hard to split and test the inside as the wood needs to be at room temp for accurate readings. After that just figure it is all green and will need at least a couple seasons to dry out. Besides that all the rain we have had leaves most wood with a frozen exterior due to the fast drop in to the teens that we have experienced.
Looks like that was a corner install by the previous owner. Better choices out there than the VC units - personally I would give them a wide grith.

Yes they have made improvements. But they are still downdraft stoves which are temperamental and the durability of the combustion package is better but still nowhere near other stoves.

What stove would you recommend? I am looking for both form and function. I want it to heat the house, be able to see the fire through a window or doors, and be somewhat nice looking. The stove will be the centerpiece in a large room overlooking the lake.

What stove would you recommend? I am looking for both form and function. I want it to heat the house, be able to see the fire through a window or doors, and be somewhat nice looking. The stove will be the centerpiece in a large room overlooking the lake.
As far as cast iron stoves go jotul makes good reliable stoves. The blaze king ashford. Hampton. And i am sure others.

The hearth requirement will be determined by the stove. Some need only ember protection. For that case just Durock and tile is fine. Others need more insulation below the hearth and may need a layer of micore. The same goes for sizing the hearth. Any non-combustible tile is fine, but porcelain tile tends to be tougher.

For stoves take a look at the Hampton H300, Enviro Boston, Jotul F45 and F400, Pacific Energy Alderlea T4 or T5, Quadrafire Explorer II.

Last edited:
If you are interested in a Regency/Hampton, you should contact Bob and Randy at R&R Fireplace out of East Troy/Eagle. They didn't recommend an insulated liner or know what a block off plate is, but they did a solid job plus offer an all-cash discount. Most trustworthy guys I could find in the area.

If you are interested in a Regency/Hampton
My brother's had an F2400 for years, looks to me like a quality stove. It would be outta there if it wasn't a serious heater, he's in Hubertus. ;)

If you like the classic look of the Vermont Castings I might respectively suggest a Jotul or maybe a Pacific Energy . . . when I was looking for a stove I liked the classic look of the VC, but put a premium on reliability. In the end these two were my top picks and I think there are several models which would meet your criteria.

Reactions: Easy Livin’ 3000
Don't get a VC. I had a 1988 VC Resolute that I bought new. Best stove on the market, but that was Yesterday.
And Yesterday is gone. VC quality has, sadly, gone bye bye.
I sold that Resolute along with the house it was in, and I miss it.

Do like I did two years ago, and get a Jotul Oslo.

The hearth requirement will be determined by the stove. Some need only ember protection. For that case just Durock and tile is fine. Others need more insulation below the hearth and may need a layer of micore. The same goes for sizing the hearth. Any non-combustible tile is fine, but porcelain tile tends to be tougher.

For stoves take a look at the Hampton H300, Enviro Boston, Jotul F45 and F400, Pacific Energy Alderlea T4 or T5, Quadrafire Explorer II.

I'm reading through the stoves you suggested. I've looked through most of the tech specs of each. It seems they are all comparable to the VC minus the catalytic portion. Is that the reason for the ambivalent feelings for VC? Not being sarcastic, I'm really asking. It seems most stoves have single draft control and the VC has a draft and catalytic control.

If you are interested in a Regency/Hampton, you should contact Bob and Randy at R&R Fireplace out of East Troy/Eagle. They didn't recommend an insulated liner or know what a block off plate is, but they did a solid job plus offer an all-cash discount. Most trustworthy guys I could find in the area.

Thanks for the rec! They didnt come up in my area searches and the house is in eat troy. I might give them a call since the guys that came to give me a quote cant be bothered to call me back.

I'm reading through the stoves you suggested. I've looked through most of the tech specs of each. It seems they are all comparable to the VC minus the catalytic portion. Is that the reason for the ambivalent feelings for VC? Not being sarcastic, I'm really asking. It seems most stoves have single draft control and the VC has a draft and catalytic control.
No there are plenty of good reliable cat stoves out there. The blazeking ashford is one that may fit the bill for you. Or woodstocks.

The stove will be the centerpiece in a large room overlooking the lake.
It costs a bit more but many stoves are also offered in an enamel finish, which looks very nice.