Advice needed, new to wood stoves.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
I’m new here but the reason I just sent in a deposit on a Blaze King Ashford 25 insert is burn time. No other stove matches BK performance that I have researched. Some BK’s can burn for 20+ hours straight! I didn’t feel like loading my new stove every 3 hours so BK it was.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I’m new here but the reason I just sent in a deposit on a Blaze King Ashford 25 insert is burn time. No other stove matches BK performance that I have researched. Some BK’s can burn for 20+ hours straight! I didn’t feel like loading my new stove every 3 hours so BK it was.

Yes they will burn a long time but only at a low heat output. Now that it has cooled down i am seeing about the same burn times i did out of my regency.

Reactions: Easy Livin’ 3000
Yes they will burn a long time but only at a low heat output. Now that it has cooled down i am seeing about the same burn times i did out of my regency.

That sounds good to me.. living in Tennessee it doesn’t get that cold here thankfully....Now a guy I work with said it was 4 degrees in Minnesota! That’s [emoji3063]

Reactions: bholler
living in Tennessee it doesn’t get that cold here thankfully....Now a guy I work with said it was 4 degrees in Minnesota!
If you go to WI, you are almost to MN. _g

Update

I went to look at some non-VC stoves today. I was surprised to like the HearthStone Heritage so much. It is not what I was originally envisioning, but I like it. The Jotul F500 was nice as well.

Any opinions on the Heritage? Pros? Cons?

Attachments

• Advice needed, new to wood stoves.
    20181120_161540.jpg
    103.4 KB · Views: 124
Consider choosing the "Hearth Reviews" part of the website, and doing a search for stoves you are interested in.

There are hundreds of reviews on different stoves, and I'm finding them well done and interesting as I read through many of them.

Need to purchase 6" Ameri-tec DCC black double-walled pipe. Company owned by Selkirk, old product. No one seems to sell them. Does anyone know at least what would be compatible? I need 2-3 feet...

Or use the search feature, type in "Heritage," "Oslo" or "500" and check 'Search titles only.'

I’m new here but the reason I just sent in a deposit on a Blaze King Ashford 25 insert is burn time. No other stove matches BK performance that I have researched. Some BK’s can burn for 20+ hours straight!

That’s a Strong statement are you sure it’s accurate??

Seems like manufacturers like to inflate their burn times and there are so many inputs involved like quality of wood, chimney length, outside air temps, etc etc.

My buddy has a blaze king princess insert about the same size as my Quad 3100 insert. The blaze king is nice no doubt. But he doesn’t get 20 hour burn times as advertised. He does get about 12 to 14 hours though. Which is impressive. But at a low heat output. In my 45 year old leaky house his BK on low wouldn’t do crap to heat my space up North here where January nights are lows of negative 30 and highs of negative 5. That includes coaling stage. that princess insert does not put out the heat of my Quad on high. And they are about the same size. And he has had to replace a door seal within the 1st year.

Not hating on BK. But to say no other stove competes is just not true

Last edited:
Reactions: Woody Stover
Consider choosing the "Hearth Reviews" part of the website, and doing a search for stoves you are interested in.

There are hundreds of reviews on different stoves, and I'm finding them well done and interesting as I read through many of them.
Thanks for pointing that out. Didn't see those. Very good resource.

I have a heritage, starting the 2nd season with it, and quite happy with it. It's really pretty whether in burning season or not, heats great during 24/7 season (or straight through the weekends more likely for me). The weak point is that it takes a long time to heat up from a cold start, so not great for shoulder seasons if you want to get a cold house warmed up quickly. I really like having the side door, and basically never open the front door except to shovel out ashes (I don't use the ash door). It makes a great room centerpiece, as even when running flat out you can sit nearby without melting or needing to retreat to a cooler part of the house.

Update

I went to look at some non-VC stoves today. I was surprised to like the HearthStone Heritage so much. It is not what I was originally envisioning, but I like it. The Jotul F500 was nice as well.

Any opinions on the Heritage? Pros? Cons?

I would look into cast iron jacketed steel stoves. With that design, you get the even heat release of the cast iron (similar to what you’d get from the hearthstone, although probably not as even), the durability of a steel firebox (my understanding is that cast iron fireboxes can tend to develop air leaks over time, could be wrong on this...). And you get the efficient heating of a convective stove. Also, in my subjective opinion, they tend to be some of the more beautiful stoves.

I’m not sure I explained that well/correctly – I’m sure one of the more seasoned posters can correct anything I said that was wrong.

Some cast iron jacketed stoves have already been mentioned (PE Alderlea T5, Blazeking Ashford 25, Enviro Boston).

I can only speak for the Alderlea but compared to a couple Hearthstones installs that I know of, the heat is very similar. We've found this design to be remarkable for reducing temperature swing and keeping the house at an even temperature. I'm sold on the benefits of a cast iron jacketed stove. It's why I suggested mostly this style stove earlier.

I’m new here but for what it’s worth, I’m very happy with my Oslo. It took me some time to learn how to use it properly (getting the right wood seasoning etc.), but it has turned out to be very easy to work with. I have a 200year old farm house in Maine (2400 sf) and I’m satisfied with the heat output. The side door is nice to have, the glass stays relatively clean with minimal upkeep, secondary burns are easy to achieve and maintain, I like the ash drawer although some don’t seem to think it’s as handy as I do. Mine is the matte black but I think if I had it to do over again, I would go for the enamel. This will be the third winter with this stove and I can say with certainty that any problems I had with the stove in the past were due to wet wood.

OP update.

After a lot of drama and research, I decided to go with a Hearthstone Heritage. I love the look of the soapstone and the reviews think for themselves. I'm planning to install a layer of durock above the subfloor and then a layer of porcelain tile. I checked the specs on the heritage and they seems to be no need for Micore 300.

The installer is putting a new chimney with a double walled stovepipe off the stove. I have a wood cellar on the dry side of my house and started contacting wood suppliers in the area that have kiln dried stock available. Looks like $195 / face chord delivered. I cut some black cherry trees down this year. They should be seasoned in a year or two.

I would like to find a sterling eco fan to complement the amazing surface, but it seems they are out of production. Anyone know where to find one?

Attachments

20181120_161540.jpg
    103.4 KB · Views: 142
    20181127_134904.jpg
    306.9 KB · Views: 149
The ECO Fan is TEG powered. They are still sold either direct or at many stove shops. I think Tractor Supply also has them. There is also a Stirling-Engine powered fan or two.
https://www.vulcanfan.com/