Advice needed!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Cotton 509

Aug 1, 2022
Oklahoma
Is anyone familiar with farm bureau requirements on a non epa wood stove installation? I have an Englander double door steel stove that vents from the rear. This is my first wood stove and first installation. I do have pretty good carpenter skills and common sense. I’m just needing some direction on clearance from the wall and going through my metal roof. I will have a heat shield on the walls. I was hoping to do that in galvanized sheet metal. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Does it have a UL tag attached?

Does it have a UL tag attached?
Unfortunately it does not. I can see where it was but it’s not there anymore. I contacted Englander and they were no help. I don’t even know what model it is for sure.

DA314D2B-7604-461F-9F21-EB7B95EA6002.jpeg

Your going to have to call your agent and ask a hypothetical question if they will continue coverage if an unnlisted stove is installed according to NFPA specs.

Reactions: Cotton 509
If they accept NFPA 211 guidance then the stove will require 36" clearance in all directions. A proper, ventilated NFPA 211 wall shield can drop the rear clearance to 12". The hearth needs to have an R=1.19 insulation value.

The stove clearances were covered pretty well. As far as going through the roof you just need to follow the chimney manufacturers instructions it's generally 2" clearance which is provided by the passthrough components. The connector pipe needs 18" if it's single wall

Is anyone familiar with farm bureau requirements on a non epa wood stove installation? I have an Englander double door steel stove that vents from the rear. This is my first wood stove and first installation. I do have pretty good carpenter skills and common sense. I’m just needing some direction on clearance from the wall and going through my metal roof. I will have a heat shield on the walls. I was hoping to do that in galvanized sheet metal. Any suggestions would be appreciated.
If you are referring to the Farm Bureau Insurance, each Insurance company can make their own rules.

Oklahoma adopted the 2015 International Codes for building. This comes under the Mechanical Code where all appliances are required to be UL Listed with label attached. So it can be used in an existing installation, but technically against code for a new install.

State and local Codes adopt the NFPA 211 Standard, which the above comments for clearance are taken from to make a safe installation. Many install safely to this Standard and claim it was existing before the Code adoption. Hence the used stove market. Others install oblivious to building codes until an insurance company catches it, or worse, an adjuster denies a claim sighting the insurance company regulation requiring all appliances to be UL Listed. Get something in writing from them stating they will cover a non-code compliant install of the stove. That is different than a insurance salesman telling you it will be fine for them to cover it.

Reactions: begreen and EbS-P