Advice on existing chimney

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

stockton

Dec 1, 2013
Fredericksburg, va
Newbie to the forum so hello all.

Third owner of a house built in 1978 with a brick fireplace lined with 7 x 7 clay blocks. The previous owner had a pellet stove, but i don't know if the first owner built the fireplace for wood or pellet. The reason i say this is on the top of the chimney is a normal fireplace cap with a hole cut in it for a 6 inch stove pipe with cap on it. Below that was two sections of black stove pipe and elbow. The 6 inch pipe going through the wall is encased in clay and concrete. We have purchased a 17-vl stove and would like to hook it up. The paperwork with the stove says that Chimney liner cross‐sectional area (Length x Width) must be no larger than twice the cross‐
sectional area of the flue collar (2 x 28.27 in2 = 56.55 in2.).

Sorry about the length trying to make sure all info is included. My question is without having the liner inspected, visually it looks clean and in good shape, is it small enough for the stove. Second as of now the stove pipe entering into the chimney is just below the liner, should i put a 90 on it to get it exhausting straight into the liner.

Thanks for any help.

No way a chimney in 1978 was built for pellets - more likely built for wood.

I would not be concerned that the flue was too big, but I would have the usual concerns about the entire construction of the masonry chimney and the wall pass through.

You mention "fireplace". Is this actually an open fireplace or simply a masonry chimney? If it's a masonry chimney, then the wall pass through should be cemented directly into a flue tile.....

Maybe some pics???

You should check out some of the info here:
https://www.hearth.com/econtent/index.php/articles/passing_a_chimney

and similar info on masonry chimney codes and constructions.

Sounds like stove pipe is being used as a liner? If so, that is totally against code. A proper liner is made of stainless steel.

Thanks for the info.

It is a masonry chimney the the opening in the house consists of 6 inch stove pipe surrounded by terra cotta which is surrounded by at least 10 inches of concrete. i've included a picture looking up through the clean out. Thanks

Attachments

• IMGP0249.JPG
    IMGP0249.JPG
    197.3 KB · Views: 74
Status
Not open for further replies.