Advice requested - dialing in Englander 25 PDV

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Thought so. I never could get the hardwoods to burn right. Always a pile of either unburnt pellets or a pile of lava. I burn Easyblaze 100% softwood and always have just a small pile of fluffy ash in the pot.

Thanks Rick,

Do you mind me asking where you get them and the cost delivered? Not too familiar with the local choices, as they don't seem to advertise.

Sam

No Problem
I get them either from a local lumbermill [A.D. Moyers ] or Krings Hearth and Home store. Both are $185.00 out the door. I pick my own up so I save on delivery. Another Brand I use in the beginning of the season is American Wood Fiber's. They work good but do not put out the same heat as the easyblaze though.

Do the leaf blower and make sure its 100% clean before you buy a board.

Thanks again.

On a cool restart, did find a small leak in the door gasket in the top right corner by the hinge. Hit it with a glob of permatex, so sealed at least for the next burn. Have a fair bit of gasket left over from the door and glass, so can perhaps glue some more in with the high temp gasket maker for a permanent fix, once I get this working properly.

SSyko,

Roger that on the blower, should be a fairly warm, bright day tomorrow, so give that a go. Side holes lower holes are plugged with steel wool for this next burn. Hillman plugs and post leafblower cleanout burn is planned for tomorrow upon a cool stove.

I think I bought the stove in Dec last year, so should still be under warranty? Will reach out to Englander and see what they say.

Would referencing this thread be a good idea or not, since we've messed with the lower 3 buttons?

Last edited:
A couple of hours in...

Running 1,9 (like rubber duck said) and 1,5,1 (like the rum) and finally getting a nice fully burned pot, before the pellets can reach end of the plate and pile up. Magnet thermometer reads a bit over 450, so putting out less heat, than the 550 or so previously. (about center on the 'burn zone' of the thermometer, but not sure what's a good range)

Does this sound normal?

So seems the pellet feed rate is the issue. Now, I assume the top auger is supposed to be on some timing.

Anyone know how often it's supposed to turn on what setting? I'm trying to figure out if the feed rate problem is the control board or the hopper 'restrictor plate,' as either could control the flow. Alternately, anyone know the proper gap size for the hopper plate? Mine can't be adjusted any further closed, but wondering if it's a piece that was somehow made with the wrong dimensions, or has the wrong slot position.

Last edited:
This morning, a pile of red hots in the burn pot ~1" high. No ashes on the sides. Temp is 500. Seems the existingpile is causing the new pellets to 'surf' across the top. May 9.5 hours on the bag, so a bit better and FAR less ashes than the last few burns.

Quick scrape of the burn pot and clearing the pile in it for the next bag and trying 1,9 and 1,7,1, until mid day for the 'coal roll' and plug event.

you have to scrape the pot a couple times a day(i used to do it morning and evening). and the mods will help with the amount of ash/lava. the amount of time a bag lasts will be completely diff also, So until you know for sure the stove, venting are 100% clean and it is burning efficiently, you have no base line to measure consumption accurately.

Last edited:
Thanks, I'm figuring that out now. Happy I've got clean burns with once per bag burnpot cleanout, now using my wife's spatula!

As you said will make sure to do a cleanout first, before passing judgement on the not so good burn rate. Just a few hours away from that, though.

Ran another bag through after the leaf blower cleaning and same as last burn, before the cleanout at the 1,9 and 1,5,1 settings. Blower did push out a bit more than I expected and even what looked like birds nest debris.

Unfortunately, still only ~8.5 hours on the bag.

As before, clean glass, hardly any ash, other than what's in the pot, maybe an 1/2"" or so in the sides of the burn pot. Also, a nice white fluffy ash, as opposed to the clinkers and birts nests.

Just plugged the top holes too and going to try again. About 20 mins into the burn, looks like the pellets are almost 'dissolved' well before the end of the plate, so hopeful.

Still think the pellet feed is too high and wondering if my model has some difference. The baseline after 5,4,1 for the lower items after reset, as opposed to 6,4,1, so wondering if there's a possibility that it's supposed to run on D instead of C. (defaulted to A after reset, so no clues, unfortunately)

Open to any suggestions. I keep reading about folks getting 18-24hour burns, so wondering what the heck's wrong with my stove.

What top holes did you plug? The ones to plug are under the plate. Have you tried any other brand of pellets?

Hi Ssyko,

Plugged the two large holes on the left and right, and along the sides of the burn pot. Analogous to the lower holes that are already blocked under the plate. The lower holes were already blocked on the 1st run after the leaf blower cleaning, and the results were no different than prior, and observing the burn pot, I could see the clinkers were because of not enought air or too many pellets. (Putting the middle lower setting higher (moving from 5 to 6) was resulting in lower burn temp, so I assumed it was just pushing heat out the exhaust?)

An fyi on the 'suck out' to make sure I did it right.... Blower used was corded toro, 250mph/350cfm model, in vac mode, with the perimeter of the exhaust pipe, over which the nozzle was wrapped a gel keyboard wrist pad to make a tight seal with the leaf blower nozzle. Hand my wife hold this on a ladder (grumbling the whole time 'how long is this going to take' lol) while I opened the door and removed the back plate and burn plate and brushed and thumped various parts of the stove. Dark mist of ash for about a minute or so, followed by random puffs, every 30 seconds for about another 2 minutes, and then clear for another 2 minutes. Also, figured out I can rest the blower on a ladder rung next time (instead of the wife holding) for improved performance. ;-)

Got a better burn than last nights, with even less ash, and a little better burn time at around 9.5 to 10 hours. There is maybe two teaspoons of ash on the sides of the burn pot, and just a small pile that built up in the pot itself, but no clinkers and the ash more white/gray than black, as compared to prior runs. This is the most burn time I've ever gotten out of a bag of pellets since the purchase.

Haven't tried another brand of pellets yet, but will give that a go today, as I'll be out getting groceries and supplies.

One other thing, is there was a light rain last night, could that impact the pellet consumption?

I was under the impression that pellet consumption was purely a factor of the amount of times the top auger rotated, which is a set frequency by the control board based on settings. So it seems that the control board has some feedback mechanisms to control the top auger rate? This is what's bugging me, along with the 18 to 24hour burn times others are reporting with the same model.

Last edited:
One more thing, is my PDV-25 supposed to be in D mode? Reading some other thread, this seems to be what's stated, Others say C.

Going to try D mode since I'm up for a pellet renewal shortly, while I'm out shopping.

ok first thing the auger timing is the feed rate (the amount of pellets that it feeds varies with the size of the pellets being used).The timing of the feed rate is based on a 16 second cycle. IE> cycle 1 begins with the auger starts and turns for 5 seconds and is off for 11 seconds. the higher the heat range the longer the auger turns and the shorter time its off.

plugging the top holes does nothing if you plugged the bottom ones(bottom holes feed air to the top holes). larger holes in the burn zone of the plate will make it burn even better.

your burn time is going to vary with the type hard/softwood and average size of the pellets being used. smaller pellets more get to the auger than larger. but they don't jam or bridge the auger like the lager ones do.

Once we get you burning efficiently than you can experiment with hopper gate settings and pellet brands and you will have learned a lot about your stove and its quirks.

The 25PDVC default settings are Mode D and 5 4 1. the 25 PDV is Mode C and 5 4 1. C & D modes work in either stove. D uses less pellets C uses more. englander proclaims 13-17 hours per bag is common.

Thanks Ssyko!

I must be reading your mind as I just got done timing the auger!

With the empty hopper, and just before shutdown mode, just measured the on/off cycle of the Auger and it is indeed 5 seconds on and 11 seconds off with my settings.

The hopper gate is all the way fwd, and looks like 1" to ~1 1/8" open, so that looks OK?

So, going to try mode D.

ps, very clean burn this time, with a bit of birds nest at the front of the burn plate, but no clinkers and about 1/4th the ash from previous burns.

Last edited:
Looks like your on the right track. Just an FYI is more pellets fed equals more heat . I usually only get about 10 hours out of a bag. I can dial it down to get more but then it blows Luke warm air . I only run lean when we are going away for a weekend and I want it to maintain for as long as possible. I also scrape the pot in the morning, after work, and bedtime.

Thanks Rick!

I was just about to ask how long you were getting out of bags with your PDV. Right now on D and 1,9 and 1,3,1 seems to be a sweet spot for now, with temp so far, just above 400 @ 45minutes into the burn. Hoping this gets up to 450F or so, but nearly in center of the 'burn zone' of the magnet thermometer on the door so far.

I needed a cooler burn for daytime, as It's been fine temp wise during the night, but was really cooking us out and lots of black pellets and ash if i tried to lower it, with no reduction in burn time. As I see what's coming out of the auger, it seems the pellets are breaking up in the auger or something as there are lots about maybe 15% 1/4" to 1/2" bits, maybe 60% 3/4" to 1" bits and the remaining 25% 1" to 1.25" and a few extra long ones. Inside the hopper, they seem to be ~1" or larger.

I am happy that I've been able to get a clean, very low ash burn and the glass almost doesn't need cleaning on some burns, so thanks fellas for the help so far! Was worried I'd have to suffer through the remaining 1.75 tons of this! Clean up after those last few bags was soooo much easier. Before there would be so many glowing embers at the sides of the pot and I'd either have to stir the piles of ash or wait a long time for these were dead before hitting them with the vac! The per bag ash after a burn has gone down from maybe half or a 1/3 of a gallon to maybe 2 cups.

Mode D looks promising and if I can get even a 13 hour burn, I'll be beyond ecstatic! As this way, I'll be able to get to bed at a reasonable hour and not have to wake up to a cold house!

I'm thinking D mode will do you well, but we had to get you burning cleaner first(baby steps);)

Yea D seems to be working with the pellets he has . You can always switch to C when the weather turns real cold to crank on the heat.

Thanks Ssyko!

Your help and guidance so far is much appreciated!

Really glad to know the auger feed is working per spec, so that's a big help.

Temp is now up to just over 450. Outside temp ~33 and ~69 in the house, which is pretty comfortable for me.

Found another small air leak in the door gasket on the lower left, very small, so will have to address that after this burn. (around 1" area where lighter flame pulled toward door a bit)

As an update, was getting a pile in the hopper, so scraped the pot and upped the lowers to 1,4,1 and now getting ~500F on the door therm. Heat/blower are 1,9

Still got a bit of a pile, so running 1,9,1 on the lowers and getting 550 degrees F, and crazy amount of heat, but looking like I'll get 12 hrs or so with the pellets remaining. Have scraped but not cleared the burn pot and no ashes on the sides. 2700 sf and 72F in the house with outside temps at 33.

Nice. I am still trying to figure out how you are getting mid 500 deg's at the door. I checked mine with an IR meter and I average around 400-425 on the door frame running 2-5 and 461 bottom 3 and 70 deg in the house. If i run on 1 my stove barley puts out heat.