Advice / Review need: Regency CI2600 fireplace insert risky & costly?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
This is what my stove looks like after 8-9 hours.

image.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
To everyone try doing the dollar bill test, but not on the top only try the bottom, especially the bottom right. You may need to take more washers out and fluff the gasket up. I think your getting a lot of air from the bottom right.

This is the slowest burn I have had yet, Grisu I think it was you said something about a blue flame. Is that what you meant? This is 2 hours in east west load, I covered the plates that I took out, down to 1 set of washers and I fluffed the gasket around the door especially the bottom.

if it didnt get too cold and i had a load full of oak, 8 hours, the best i ever got was 10 but that was in the 40s and not much wind. But on average right now i'll get 6-8 and i'm right outside of Philly so the temps have been in the 10-40 range lately. My dealer also told me the draft in my chimney is as good as you can get.

Just wanted to give an update. My dealer came and took out the I2600 and swapped it for the Pacific Energy Summit and what an improvement! On the I2600 I got averge of 4 hours between reloads. With the PE Summit I now get about 8 hours. Last night we loaded it at midnight and at 9:30 the fan was still on and there were still a lot of nice coals to reload and get in burning pretty quickly. So much happier. No fuss, no worrying about checking the temperature anymore. So relieved to have an insert that works! I2600 did not work for us at all. And I'm loving the look of the new insert even though it's not flush. So much easier to use AND it works!

Reactions: edge-of-the-woods
What's the size difference of the two fire boxes?
The I2600 is 2.6 and the PE Summit is 3.0 cu ft. The size of the firebox is square so the logs fit in so much better both north south or east west with no problems either way. I can fit in 12 logs. Overall it is a better insert.

Yes
Brian I know you looked at the bypass and it closes but there has been people that went to check and found that the fork attached to the bypass was on wrong it should that it closed but for some reason heat was still going out. They changed the fork something about the arrow pointing in the right direction and they had good burn times. That big chunk of black wood in the stove showed a problem for sure.

Yes.....I read that in this thread a while back and checked it, I think it was this thread....I know the wood I was using was an experiment to make sure my wood was not to dry,which is what I was using before!!! Craziness is my only resort....my dealer and regency said they would come out to my house but I'm still waiting to hear from both of them.....I have bent over backwards as you can tell from this thread and have been more than patient in doing my part.....the main reason I went with regency was for there reputation, but they are proving to be misleading with their marketing and just a down right unethical company!!

Reactions: Cinders
Yes

Yes.....I read that in this thread a while back and checked it, I think it was this thread....I know the wood I was using was an experiment to make sure my wood was not to dry,which is what I was using before!!! Craziness is my only resort....my dealer and regency said they would come out to my house but I'm still waiting to hear from both of them.....I have bent over backwards as you can tell from this thread and have been more than patient in doing my part.....the main reason I went with regency was for there reputation, but they are proving to be misleading with their marketing and just a down right unethical company!!
Did you try the dollar bill test on the bottom of door?

I've heard of it on here....haven't tried it....what do I need to do?
When the stove is at the end of a burn you don't want the dollar to go on fire :). Open the door and close the door with the dollar between the door and stove if it's hard to pull out it is a good seal if the bill pulls easy then air gets in there. You then need to tighten door and fluff up the gasket. I found that the bottom right corner was leaking air I took one more set of washers out and fluffed up the gasket all around and I increased burn time by 2 more hours. I even burn all night with the air 1/4 open and stove is still 550 after 8 hours. I add wood because first floor is old plaster with no insulation so when temps are low 20s stove temp of 550 house temps slowly starts to drop.

Reactions: edge-of-the-woods
Thank you I'll test it the next time I burn......kinda burnt out right know...."pun intended"......just kicking up the heat and burning propane.....still gotta work....plus dancing with this unit is starting to irritate my wife a little....spending too much time with it. But I'll let you know how it goes when I get a chance in a couple of days!

Another new guy with a CI2600. I'm not quite as unhappy with it as some. I didn't really expect to heat my house with it. We enjoy a wood fire and wanted to have it contribute some warmth instead of sucking heat up the chimney. It does that really well. Unfortunately it also incinerates wood at a rapid pace in the process.

It seems like the dollar bill comes out easily enough that I could stand to remove a washer or two. Unfortunately none of my sockets will fit on the bolt with the flange for the door strike on each side. What are you guys using to loosen those bolts?

I guess I'll need to contact my dealer and see if he knows anything about the plate for the air intake. Right now I get 4-6 hours of heat from a load. I would like to just get 8 hours consistently so that I can still have heat and refire quickly in the morning.

I'm down to one set of washers, but don't take them out all at once. Take a set out then do the dollar test again, you may have to repeat till the gasket breaks in. Also with your fingers or pliers pull some if the gasket strings up but be gentle not to pull the gasket out.

well first night with the plate in and it definitely made a difference, i got 8.5 hours no problem with the fan on high and outside temp was 19 when i woke up. i also dampered it down all the way.

Another new guy with a CI2600. I'm not quite as unhappy with it as some. I didn't really expect to heat my house with it. We enjoy a wood fire and wanted to have it contribute some warmth instead of sucking heat up the chimney. It does that really well. Unfortunately it also incinerates wood at a rapid pace in the process.

It seems like the dollar bill comes out easily enough that I could stand to remove a washer or two. Unfortunately none of my sockets will fit on the bolt with the flange for the door strike on each side. What are you guys using to loosen those bolts?

I guess I'll need to contact my dealer and see if he knows anything about the plate for the air intake. Right now I get 4-6 hours of heat from a load. I would like to just get 8 hours consistently so that I can still have heat and refire quickly in the morning.

I would not consider myself new....but I would expect that out of the marketed 2600 square feet I should at least be able to heat 1000 of that.....I grem up with only a stave to heat our home soo I may not be an expert but pretty darn close...and I understand the concept of the hybrid also

To remove washers from behind strike plate -- only my thin wall 7/16" socket would fit within the strike plate (space is 0.647" wide where bolts are). Standard 6-point Craftsman sockets wouldn't work (maybe a 12-point would squeeze in there).

To remove washers from behind strike plate -- only my thin wall 7/16" socket would fit within the strike plate (space is 0.647" wide where bolts are). Standard 6-point Craftsman sockets wouldn't work (maybe a 12-point would squeeze in there).
How have your burn times been and heat output?

Status
Not open for further replies.