aer dry creek better than lignetics

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

chrisasst

Minister of Fire
Aug 13, 2008
cortland ny
this is from the place I found the lignetics this year......

DRYCREEK WOODPELLETS $299.00 /TON
INSTANT HEAT WOODPELLETS $279.00/TON
LIGNETICS WOODPELLETS $279.00/TON

chrisasst said:
:bug: YIKES! Cheaper to burn oil/gas at those prices.

At those prices, I'd stay w/ the Ligs. Dry Creek may be OK, but not worth $300/ton

300 for dry creek is a joke. They are 250 a ton here, they (drycreek) will not sell to the public so arcade lumber has them

3 tons of Manke Clean Burn at $215 per ton
3 tons of Atlas premium red fir at $220 per ton

Would buy more if I had more room to store them.

having nothing but bad luck with dry creek. glad I only baught 1/2 ton. Poor heat output and lots of ash.

macman said:
chrisasst said:

At those prices, I'd stay w/ the Ligs. Dry Creek may be OK, but not worth $300/ton

umm, not for me....$600 for oil or $300 for pellets....

for 300 in pellets to equal 600 in oil, wouldnt oil need to be $5.20 per gallon compared to $300 per ton of pellets?

Franks said:
for 300 in pellets to equal 600 in oil, wouldn't oil need to be $5.20 per gallon compared to $300 per ton of pellets?

when the oil furnace you have is horrible. I kid you not, when I was burning oil, I was using 300 gallons a month. So 300 x $2.60 (at the time) = $780..

I should have just upgraded my furnace instead of buying a pellet stove but really wasn't think then..

$300 for dry creek=NO WAY!

I'd try some of the Ligs and Instant heats to see how they are in the stove first. This years batch of ligs is a tad ashy compared to previous years. So maybe the instants are just as good.

Is there any other brands available in the area?? If you have to pay those prices I'd be looking for the best you can get! Okanagan, , Barefoots, Cubex, Dragon Mountain and maybe Rocky Mountains are getting the best reviews this year.

jay

I burned the 35 bags of Dry Creek`s that I got free with my $500 Harman P-38 and although I was new to burning pellets I never thought they were anything but excellent since they produced very little fines and low ash. I`ve burned a couple other brands since and really never saw any significant differences.
But they say Harman stoves tend not to discriminate between pellets brands so I might not be the best judge of a good pellet.

Hmm, i don,t know about that" I don,t own a Harman but 2 of my Buds do, both tell me Pellets have to be very consistant size with the Bottom feed Auger or it will clog and jam with longer inconsistant pellets.I have not found that with Top Fed Enviro,as the Cozy-comfy pellets from Kent Bld(Irving)are anywheres from 1" to 2.5" and i burned them fine,Jammed up Both of their Harmens, just my 2 cents worth though..

gutterboy2ca said:
Hmm, i don,t know about that" I don,t own a Harman but 2 of my Buds do, both tell me Pellets have to be very consistant size with the Bottom feed Auger or it will clog and jam with longer inconsistant pellets.I have not found that with Top Fed Enviro,as the Cozy-comfy pellets from Kent Bld(Irving)are anywheres from 1" to 2.5" and i burned them fine,Jammed up Both of their Harmens, just my 2 cents worth though..

Maybe I just been lucky so far .

Gio said:
I burned the 35 bags of Dry Creek`s that I got free with my $500 Harman P-38 and although I was new to burning pellets I never thought they were anything but excellent since they produced very little fines and low ash. I`ve burned a couple other brands since and really never saw any significant differences.
But they say Harman stoves tend not to discriminate between pellets brands so I might not be the best judge of a good pellet.

Are they worth $300 a ton? Or $20.00 more than the other brands he has listed? Would you honestly spend $300 a ton for them?

I didn't say they were a bad pellet. There decent for sure. There heat is a tad low compared to the lignetics. So they IMO aren't worth paying more. But I still believe with all the values out there. There isn't vary many pellets brands worth $300 a ton.

jay

jtakeman said:
Gio said:

Are they worth $300 a ton? Or $20.00 more than the other brands he has listed? Would you honestly spend $300 a ton for them?

I didn't say they were a bad pellet. There decent for sure. There heat is a tad low compared to the lignetics. So they IMO aren't worth paying more. But I still believe with all the values out there. There isn't vary many pellets brands worth $300 a ton.

jay

No one accused you. I only gave my opinion like everyone else , and based soley on my own experience with them.
From what I understand some brands can be good one year and not so good the next. Makes sense since the raw mat`ls will vary from one year to the next.

Gee whiz, according to some posts you would think pellets are available everywhere for less than $250 a ton but that`s simply not the case . Maybe some of you guys are fortunate to have access to good pellets at cheap prices , but where I`m at it`s hard to find a selection of good pellets for under $300 a ton.
To be honest I paid $315 delivered for the Heartland brand from Spearfish, S.D. (used them last year too) which come in by train to our local lumberyard. The bigger hardware store, Tractor Supply Co , and Home Despot ones are usually around $6 a bag or $289 a ton and not that great (from what others say) and you have to pick em up too.
I only use a couple tons a year to heat the basement. I happen to have a reasonably efficient oil furnace thats properly zoned and my oil useage doesn`t compel me to burn just pellets so it`s of little consequence for me to pay an extra $50 a ton for what I think are good pellets.

Gio said:
jtakeman said:
Gio said:

jay

No one accused you. I only gave my opinion like everyone else , and based soley on my own experience with them.
From what I understand some brands can be good one year and not so good the next. Makes sense since the raw mat`ls will vary from one year to the next.

Gee whiz, according to some posts you would think pellets are available everywhere for less than $250 a ton but that`s simply not the case . Maybe some of you guys are fortunate to have access to good pellets at cheap prices , but where I`m at it`s hard to find a selection of good pellets for under $300 a ton.
To be honest I paid $315 delivered for the Heartland brand from Spearfish, S.D. (used them last year too) which come in by train to our local lumberyard. The bigger hardware store, Tractor Supply Co , and Home Despot ones are usually around $6 a bag or $289 a ton and not that great (from what others say) and you have to pick em up too.
I only use a couple tons a year to heat the basement. I happen to have a reasonably efficient oil furnace thats properly zoned and my oil useage doesn`t compel me to burn just pellets so it`s of little consequence for me to pay an extra $50 a ton for what I think are good pellets.

Easy Gio, I was just asking. I didn't realize pellets were that pricey near you. I really didn't mean to push your buttons. I will try to smugle you some decent pellets for around $250 if I can.

I agree with you on the pellets available for the so called deals at the bigboxs. Are they really deals?(Oh there I go again!)

Sorry for being a pain!
jay

jtakeman said:

I'd try some of the Ligs and Instant heats to see how they are in the stove first. This years batch of ligs is a tad ashy compared to previous years. So maybe the instants are just as good.

Is there any other brands available in the area?? If you have to pay those prices I'd be looking for the best you can get! Okanagan, , Barefoots, Cubex, Dragon Mountain and maybe Rocky Mountains are getting the best reviews this year.

jay

Lignetics are the best in my stove. I tried instant heat 2 years ago and they were average in my stove...I am just wondering why they have dry creek higher than ligs...

chrisasst said:
jtakeman said:

jay

Lignetics are the best in my stove. I tried instant heat 2 years ago and they were average in my stove...I am just wondering why they have dry creek higher than ligs...

I really don't know, They have been around for a while. There name maybe. I burned them in my Quad for a few years. Like I said there Decent. But I think the lignetics throw more heat.

Try a couple of bags and see. You stove is the ultimate judge on the pellets you need to buy and burn. Maybe this years batch is beyond what I have tried in hte past.

macman said:
chrisasst said:

Here in Norther NJ they are asking $330 a ton for Dry Creek. The store owner told me you have to pay a premium for quality. I told him I would burn oil before I spend that much and I told him I will talk to him again in Jan when he is still sitting on the 24 tons he just got in.

jtakeman said:
Gio said:
jtakeman said:
Gio said:

jay

Easy Gio, I was just asking. I didn't realize pellets were that pricey near you. I really didn't mean to push your buttons. I will try to smugle you some decent pellets for around $250 if I can.

I agree with you on the pellets available for the so called deals at the bigboxs. Are they really deals?(Oh there I go again!)

Sorry for being a pain!
jay

You`re not a pain jay and you did`n push any wrong buttons. Internet speak is often hard to determine the the attitude behind it and I`m probably worse at how I come across than most folks are so no apologies necessary.
Yeah, folks around here almost cry when we read about good pellets for $229-$259 a ton. Were being held hostage here. And you can see why I`m only heating the basement with em when oil is below $3 a gal.

Gio said:
jtakeman said:
Gio said:
jtakeman said:
Gio said:

jay

Sorry for being a pain!
jay

You`re not a pain jay and you did`n push any wrong buttons. Internet speak is often hard to determine the the attitude behind it and I`m probably worse at how I come across than most folks are so no apologies necessary.
Yeah, folks around here almost cry when we read about good pellets for $229-$259 a ton. Were being held hostage here. And you can see why I`m only heating the basement with em when oil is below $3 a gal.

Yes I do, That is also why I have to do my homework and search for the best deals. I don't have the cheaper option of oil. My other option is wood, Just don't want to work that hard at it.

I have a few friends that were on the fence with the Oil/pellet option. Some went with oil and the no hassle of the stove. The others are doing both and trying to stretch both.

Never tried the Heartland or even seen them. How are they?

jtakeman said:
Gio said:
jtakeman said:
Gio said:
jtakeman said:
Gio" date="1256405722 said:
I have a few friends that were on the fence with the Oil/pellet option. Some went with oil and the no hassle of the stove. The others are doing both and trying to stretch both.

Never tried the Heartland or even seen them. How are they?

Heartland are considered excellent quality pellets by those that I know in my area . The lumber yard buys the same brand every year and stores them on a RR siding 6 cars at a time
I`m probably not the best judge of pellets since my experiences are limited with Dry Creek, Heartland and some Green Supremes (green bag) I bought last year and all I can only say my stove burns em all well. And none ever gave me what I`d consider high ash content or any noticeable differences or problems. I have not been tempted by any of the off brands (?) that HD, TSC might carry.

Status
Not open for further replies.