air holes clogging

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

dubbz

Jan 18, 2007
Pocono Mts, Pennsylvania
Owner of a 16 year old Breckwell P24 insert. I replaced the motors several years ago and they appear to be working fine. After about 10 hours of working the air holes in the firebox seem to clog around the edges and the draft gets reduced. In short the fire box gets full . I've tried turning the pot on the back of the control board all the way to the left to cut the feed rate, but it does'nt seem to matter. The path is clean all through to the top of the chimney. I just can't figure out why the burned pellets (dust) does'nt exit the firebox. Any ideas would be appreciated.

Sounds like an air feed problem. I`m not sure but it seems to me that if those holes in the burnpot are quickly becoming plugged the stove might be starving for air.

dubbz said:
Owner of a 16 year old Breckwell P24 insert. I replaced the motors several years ago and they appear to be working fine. After about 10 hours of working the air holes in the firebox seem to clog around the edges and the draft gets reduced. In short the fire box gets full . I've tried turning the pot on the back of the control board all the way to the left to cut the feed rate, but it does'nt seem to matter. The path is clean all through to the top of the chimney. I just can't figure out why the burned pellets (dust) does'nt exit the firebox. Any ideas would be appreciated.

You have taken off all baffles and cleaned the insert from stem to stern?

You have removed and cleaned the combustion fan and the area it resides in?

You have cleaned the heat exchanger and have the cleaning scraper if any in its proper burn location?

Your air intake is clean and there is no blockage around the intake?

The damper if any isn't closed too much?

dubbz said:
Yes, I did all of that, even reoiled the motors. I have the damper wide open.

These stove operate on vacuum so having the damper wide open reduces the efficiency of the stove... the opposite of a wood burner.

When was the last time you checked and or replaced your gaskets? This can cause burn pot fill up if they are bad enough to cause an air bypass.

Krooser is correct you can cause problems by having the damper open too much, usually it only needs to be cracked just enough to make the pellets jiggle around in the burn pot, if the pellets jiggle the ash will get blown out of the burn pot.

dubbz said:
Are you useing the same pellet brand, and put damper at half.

That never occued to me about reducing the damper to create more vaccum. As for the gaskets, I checked them all and found no leaks. I will cut the damper down and try that. Thanks to all for the quick responses, much appreciated. Great and knowledgable board!

SmokeyTheBear said:
Krooser is correct you can cause problems by having the damper open too much, usually it only needs to be cracked just enough to make the pellets jiggle around in the burn pot, if the pellets jiggle the ash will get blown out of the burn pot.
Is this the same with the Big-E?

i have a breckwell p24 freestanding . sometimes with different pellets you have to adjust the air intake . that happens to me if i get to much air or not enough

dubbz said:
Well, I tried reducing the intake by just cracking the damper open but the pot still filled by morning.

When was the last time you checked and or replaced your gaskets? This can cause burn pot fill up if they are bad enough to cause an air bypass.

Status
Not open for further replies.