1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)
    Caluwe - Passion for Fire and Water ( Pellet and Wood Hydronic and Space Heating)

Alaska Kodiak Wood Stove Manual (c 1980's)

Post in 'Classic Wood Stove Forums (prior to approx. 1993)' started by Stephen in Beacon, Jan 1, 2013.

1. Stephen in Beacon

Stephen in Beacon New Member

Hello everyone, Happy New Year. Great forum! I am completely new to wood stoves and had a question regarding a 1980's Kodiak Stove my wife and I recently purchased from a couple who switched to a pellet stove. The previous owners mentioned the stove was well maintained, as it was cleaned very well, fire bricks are in good shape, and a new paint job. We live in Beacon, NY (Hudson Valley) and our city building inspector needed to view the original manual in order to give us a permit to install in our small 980 sq. ft home. The previous owners didn't have the manual and when we contacted Alaska Stoves they no longer had old manuals due to, ironically, a fire several years back and they lost any documents dating back to this stove. I thought I would be able to use a very safe method of determining fire proofing and installation, but the city needed to see actual specs.

Is there anyone on this forum who would happen to have the manual to the stove in the provided picture...my wife and I would greatly appreciate any information you might have regarding this brand and model.

Thank you!

Stephen IMG_1350.jpg

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. BrotherBart

BrotherBart Hearth.com LLC Mid-Atlantic Division Staff Member

Loc:
    Northern Virginia
    Welcome. You are going to have a real hard, if not impossible, time finding a manual for that stove. People come through here every once in a while looking for one and I don't recall them ever finding one. Possibly the UL listing plate is still on the back of the stove that would give the inspector the information he needs.
  3. pen

pen There are some who call me...mod. Staff Member

Loc:
    N.E. Penna
    Could 36 inch clearance and other base requirements for a non-UL stove be used here? I believe these are stated in NFPA 211?

pen
  4. Stephen in Beacon

Stephen in Beacon New Member

Thank you, I'll look for the UL listing.
  5. coaly

coaly Fisher Moderator Staff Member

Loc:
    NE PA
    pen is correct, simply use the non-UL listed criteria in NFPA 211 for unlisted stoves.

Most stove fabricators had no manual. Fisher being the first and largest didn't even have one and customers asking for information finally got their wish when licensed fabricators (Thanks to; Factoryville, PA) had their own printed, were approved by Fisher International and later supplied with stoves. (Later models after 1980 had their own copywrited manuals written by Fisher Int.)
    If you watch Craigslist for older stoves, sometimes the seller will state it comes with a manual. I contact them and try to get them to scan it for me, or get a copy somehow. I've even had manuals mailed to me and sent them back after scanning myself. (That's how I obtained Fisher manuals uploaded in Hearth-Wiki) Haven't seen one for Kodiak yet, but you're in the right company of people looking for such a thing.
  6. coaly

coaly Fisher Moderator Staff Member

Loc:
    NE PA
    Here's hope that a manual exists;
    An auction from October 2011 stating a "manual in office".
    http://www.auctionflex.com/showlot.ap?co=1&weiid=7775375&lang=En

If you look close, you'll notice this stove is using FISHER FEET !! (Kodiak being one of many patent infringers of Fisher)
    OK, I blew a fuse <> serves me right for not staying in the Fisher forum.

Fisher Feet with Kodiak Stove 1.jpg :ZZZ this ain't right

Fisher Feet with Kodiak Stove 2.jpg
  7. Len Kampf

Len Kampf New Member

Loc:
    holland, pennsylvania
    LaBonBon post indicated she has put the manual on this sight. I am looking for it with know success.

Len