Alderlea T4 with coals in the morning!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Creature

Jul 18, 2009
Vancouver, Canada
For about the 4th time in the month I've been burning I have coals in the morning (about 7 hour burn/warmth time)!

Not really usable coals, which is fine by me since I only burn at night and on the weekends, but the stove is still warm and contributing some heat overnight. The electric kicks on in the morning (programmed to turn on before I wake up and off before I leave for work), but not nearly as much as it used to.

I'm trying to be careful not to shut it down too early after loading, and make sure I've charred the fuel good before staging down the air. Then, after shutting off the air, I look for those lazy blue/orange flames to be relatively steady before heading to bed.

We'll see what it looks like when I pop the cap on the chimney, hopefully this weekend.

Hi Creature,

I've been getting similar results with my T4. Since this winter has been so mild, we've been using it almost exclusivly since November when we had it installed. I think we've fired the Winterwarm only a dozen times or so this year.

If I load a large and a small split before bed, and like you make sure the fire is well established then close it down completely, I'll have enough coals in the morning for a restart with a bit of kindling and a couple of small splits.

The T4 is primarily to heat the kitchen / diningroom which the Winterwarm doesn't heat that well. We've been having 0c to -6c daytime temps ( and nighttime too! ) for the majority of this winter, and the T4 will keep the kitchen in our leaky house at about 24c, and the livingroom at about 20c.

I think we've only gone through about a cord and half so far this year.

Also like you we have a furnace ( propane ) programmed to kick on in the morning before we get up to bring the house up to temp.

All in all I'm quite happy with the T4.

Jonathan

Just an input the T4 IS a great stove for the amount of wood you put in it, that sure is a long burn time. When ever I am running one of my non cat wood burners the key for me to tell the primetime to shut down the air, is when there is a visual second fire started in the secoundary chamber. As for the t-4 it is that stainless box with holes in the bottom once there is flames established in that baffle it is time to shut down. That will leave you with a slick flue in the summer months when its time to clean it and less plugging up in the cap. Ill try to get a pic or video up of a second fire in one of my fireplaces.

Status
Not open for further replies.