Almost out of pine

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

brant2000

Feeling the Heat
Oct 24, 2011
Somerset, PA
and just in time. Not that it didn't burn fine, and my house is still standing ;), but it would make for a lot more work during the peak winter months. I've never burned pine before, but with all the discussion about it on here, I figured it was worth giving it a shot. It definitely doesn't give the burn times that you get out of hard woods, but of course that's to be expected. Just based on mass density alone, it's easily less than half that of most hardwoods. I'd collect/burn more, but certainly wouldn't go far out of my way to get it.

Reactions: 7acres
I'd collect/burn more, but certainly wouldn't go far out of my way to get it.
I find it helpful to burn after every 2-3 of loads of hard wood to help manage coals. I'll always keep some around. (Lucky for me White Pines are always falling down around here and I'm surrounded by the "Pine???ARE YOU CRAZY?" crowd.

I'm happy using it. I had about 2 cords c/s/s and I'm still using some of it. This way I haven't touched my hardwood yet, and maybe not til around December 1st or so!

Reactions: ColdNH
I'm happy using it. I had about 2 cords c/s/s and I'm still using some of it. This way I haven't touched my hardwood yet, and maybe not til around December 1st or so!
Same here. Still burning shoulder woods and hope to until early December. Got into some other softwoods last evening mixed in with the pine. Maybe poplar or cottonwood. Very dry at about 11-13% on my MM but definitely not burning as hot as the white pine from the last few nights.

Still burning pine and my chunks and uglies . . . although some days I start thinking that perhaps I might need to start thinking about switching over to my "pretty" wood.

Still burning pine here as well and loving it. such easy wood to get burning, have yet to shovel out the ashes as it doesn't seem to generate any and i feel the short burn times give you much more control over the temperature in the room. However with highs around freezing this week i will probably mix to hardwoods before bed so that i have some coals in the morning.

Going to 18 tonight, so I'll be throwing some of the heavier stuff in after dinner.

Status
Not open for further replies.