1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)

aluminum cans for creosote removal

Post in 'The Hearth Room - Wood Stoves and Fireplaces' started by Riddler, Dec 3, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. firefighterjake

firefighterjake Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Unity/Bangor, Maine
    WHAT? Burning seasoned wood and burning hot enough reduces creosote? That's crazy talk Dennis . . . I mean I need to find some way to spend my money on some magical, high-tech or some old trick my Pepsi-delivery truck friend's oil burner tech uncle's grandfather said works the best . . . I've heard (and read on the internet so it must be the gospel truth) that burning beer cans with drywall marinated in potato peels will leave your chimney as clean as a baby's bottom (although I've seen some baby's bottoms and sometimes they're none too clean. ;) :) )

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. firefighterjake

Loc:
    Unity/Bangor, Maine
    Up here in Yankee Land we simply return the cans for the nickel deposit . . . and in the Spring folks actually can be seen walking alongside the road picking up the cans and bottles . . . 5 cents isn't much . . . but it adds up quickly.
  3. Backwoods Savage

Backwoods Savage Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Michigan
    Jake, come on out here and double your money. They are worth a dime here. We still don't put them in our stoves either.
  4. polaris

polaris Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    KY.
    This is an old remedy that a lot of rural folks swear by. It is not an uncommon practice at all. As to whether it works or not, I don't have a clue. Be that as it may, I'm guilty of tossing in a few empty "daddy soda" cans myself now and again.
    Joe
  5. firefighterjake

Loc:
    Unity/Bangor, Maine
    Wasn't that a Seinfeld episode when Kramer loaded up a mail van with returnables and headed to Michigan?
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.