And so it begins again

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

remkel

Minister of Fire
Jan 21, 2010
Southwest NH
Made a nice little score when the neighbor wanted to take down some standing dead birch and oak trees. Oak is a little punky around the edges, but the core wood is FANTASTIC. Just splitting off the punk and keeping the rest. With sunny 20 degree weather it seemed like a perfect day to start getting ahead for next year.....(I know, oak 2 years).

Also made a great connection with a local construction company that is keeping me in mind if they are doing any land clearing. Hopefully will begin making some progress towards getting a couple years ahead.

Attachments

• wood.jpg
    wood.jpg
    99.6 KB · Views: 449
Thats cool. Nothing beats a neighbor with wood to let go of. You may get that call anytime with bringing down trees can happen year round. I was going to call a local tree service and do the same thing. Good scrounge!

Looking real good Remi! Keep at it and you'll be well ahead before you know it! Mmmmm.......Jotul food!

Cheers, Jacques.

Nice score Remkel. And some nice work as well. Looks like you are in nice shape.

Gasifier said:
Nice score Remkel. And some nice work as well. Looks like you are in nice shape.

Actually, it is a bit misleading photo- the stacks in the back are this year's wood. I probably have one cord for next year- still scrounging for the rest......but it is a good start.

Remkel said:
Made a nice little score when the neighbor wanted to take down some standing dead birch and oak trees. Oak is a little punky around the edges, but the core wood is FANTASTIC. Just splitting off the punk and keeping the rest. With sunny 20 degree weather it seemed like a perfect day to start getting ahead for next year.....(I know, oak 2 years).

Also made a great connection with a local construction company that is keeping me in mind if they are doing any land clearing. Hopefully will begin making some progress towards getting a couple years ahead.

Remkel, sounds like a good deal. We are seeing a big difference this year with our wood being two years seasoned so I hope it works out.

Get Splitting

zap

zapny said:
Remkel said:

Remkel, sounds like a good deal. We are seeing a big difference this year with our wood being two years seasoned so I hope it works out.

Get Splitting

zap

Way I figure it, just like the old commercial, if I tell a friend, then they will tell a friend, and so on , and so on , and so on......hope it works

Remkel, that is great. Keep it coming. As for the oak with some punk, that is quite common with oak. Most folks tend to not worry about it. We usually don't as it is usually only maybe an inch deep for punk but last spring we cut a pin oak that had much more punk than we wanted. I did split most of the punk off and just threw it away. I did burn a few pieces but it wasn't much of a burn and as usual, not worth keeping. The rest just goes on the brush pile.

Status
Not open for further replies.