annual stove maintenance service for the enviro M55

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

suchanewbie

Sep 14, 2014
NH
My first year with the stove (overall great experience) and with heating season over, I thought I'd have it serviced by someone who knows what they're doing. At least I was hoping to watch what's done so I could do it on my own in future years.
I called around and one place said they charge $230 and I was somewhat startled by the high price. That's close to the price of a pallet of pellets, goodness - and it eats further into my planned savings of using pellets over oil.

So I wanted to ask the forum - how much do you all pay on average? Is it really worth the cost to get it done by a store? Most of you veterans might say DIY, but I'm also considering I'm not entirely sure what needs to be done, and I'd like to play it safe?

What should I expect out of such a paid service? I'm always cleaning the heck out of front of the stove anyways (burnpot, etc). I guess they pull the stove (insert) out and clean the back of it, blower motors, etc.
I assume they clean the vent pipe also - not sure how far up? Mine is vented straight through the chimney over a 20' rise. Should I expect them to clean the whole liner, or is that a chimney cleaner's job?

Also, any recommendations for companies (in the metrowest MA area) for this annual stove cleaning work.
Thanks.

Last edited:
That is not a bad price if a very thorough job taking 2 hours with a helper and longer for a single worker is performed.

My place charges $150 for an end of year cleaning.

Just got a post card from the place we purchased from $275. Have them out to do it once and watch what they do to clean it. Or read up on here and do it yourself.

TimfromMA, would you mind sharing the name of the place that services your stove?
Thank you very much.

I charge $245 for the End of Season service. Two years ago I raised my rates up considerably from $195 to $245. I'm licensed, insured yada and when seeking to find the true cost of performing service I found that at $195 I was only really making about $15 profit per service. At the time when I raised my rates I then became the most expensive one around and over a year and a half time, everyone else raised their rates too. It's crazy how I'll change my pricing and seemingly everyone else follows suit. That said. I have yet to find another tech that actually does the work they say they are doing. I come in behind them all the time, I know who they are, and trust me...they aren't doing what they are charging for. Honestly, if you just bought the unit, it's not going to need much. There are some good techs out there. I know Ian who owns Royal Fireside and he is a hardworking stand up guy. I do not know who his tech is now but 3-4 years ago he had a guy that was pretty good. The M55 is a very easy stove to clean from an air flow point of view but there are numerous quirks with slide rails, hinges, wiring harnesses and basic set up that all should have been "tuned" during installation which I find are rarely ever done and to honest....Enviro should put together a unit that doesn't require so much tweaking,but that's another issue altogether.

Think of it this way....if my $4000 used car could get a professional tune up once a year for $250ish, wouldn't that be nice.

I charge $245 for the End of Season service. Two years ago I raised my rates up considerably from $195 to $245. I'm licensed, insured yada and when seeking to find the true cost of performing service I found that at $195 I was only really making about $15 profit per service. At the time when I raised my rates I then became the most expensive one around and over a year and a half time, everyone else raised their rates too. It's crazy how I'll change my pricing and seemingly everyone else follows suit. That said. I have yet to find another tech that actually does the work they say they are doing. I come in behind them all the time, I know who they are, and trust me...they aren't doing what they are charging for. Honestly, if you just bought the unit, it's not going to need much. There are some good techs out there. I know Ian who owns Royal Fireside and he is a hardworking stand up guy. I do not know who his tech is now but 3-4 years ago he had a guy that was pretty good. The M55 is a very easy stove to clean from an air flow point of view but there are numerous quirks with slide rails, hinges, wiring harnesses and basic set up that all should have been "tuned" during installation which I find are rarely ever done and to honest....Enviro should put together a unit that doesn't require so much tweaking,but that's another issue altogether.

Think of it this way....if my $4000 used car could get a professional tune up once a year for $250ish, wouldn't that be nice.
Why no service to Rhode Island, that is so very close to you?

Status
Not open for further replies.