Another Burn Technique

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

wkpoor

Minister of Fire
Hearth Supporter
Oct 30, 2008
Amanda, OH
I made what I think is a discovery that worked for my stove to maximize heat output/burntime and reduce the coaling. I got up today late and fire appeared out but after opening the door I realized it was just at least 6" deep coal bed covered in ash. Well the house was cold and I wasn't about to try and burn down all those coals. After scooping out all but an 1" I realized I was down to 4 splits that would fit in N-S. So I loaded them 2 on each side leaving the center section open. Normally I would have laid them all flat on the bottom in preparation for another row. I was in my pajamas. Figured after I got my shower and got dressed I would bring the days wood in and continue to fill. Came back down after an hour and was surprised the stove was still burning at 650 degrees on only 4 small splits. Continued the practice rest of the day and liked the results. More heat, less coals. Must be giving an air path to the bottom helps create a more even burn.

wkpoor said:
Came back down after an hour and was surprised the stove was still burning at 650 degrees on only 4 small splits. Continued the practice rest of the day and liked the results. More heat, less coals. Must be giving an air path to the bottom helps create a more even burn.

Personally, I think lots of folks overload their stoves with the false notion that they will get more heat output. Not only does that make it harder to get air through the fuel mass, the wood itself shields the stove walls from the heat of the burning mass.

I burn my stove all day long with only a small amount of wood at the bottom and a fresh split every hour or so. Burns much better that way because there isn't as much wood in there outgassing. I'm burning some extremely dry wood right now that has been drying in my basement for over a month, so small loads and big splits are the general rule. And I never, ever have a problem with too many coals, so it must be the right way to burn with my setup.

I just put two splits on a small but fierce coal bed. They took off instantly, and within a minute I was back up to a 600º flue pipe temp and shut the bypass. That wood will last until 11 PM, at which time I will load it full for the first and only time of the day. I really do want it to burn through the night, even if I lose a little up the stack because of a slightly less efficient burn.

Obviously feeding the stove every hour only works when you are home all day. For those of us who work it's not going to happen. I'm gone from 8am-6/7pm so I load the stove to the gills and fill every nook and cranny I can.

We're burning wood this year that has not seasoned as long as we like so are getting more coaling. Still no problem. Big batch of coals? We then lay 2 splits and leave the draft open full. Get lots of heat while burning down the coals. One time we had to add two more splits before the coals were burned down to a manageable level. Still no problem as we got good heat and did not have to waste anything. I really hate it when folks have to scoop out coals. That is a lot of heat wasted.

Backwoods Savage said:
We're burning wood this year that has not seasoned as long as we like so are getting more coaling. Still no problem. Big batch of coals? We then lay 2 splits and leave the draft open full. Get lots of heat while burning down the coals. One time we had to add two more splits before the coals were burned down to a manageable level. Still no problem as we got good heat and did not have to waste anything. I really hate it when folks have to scoop out coals. That is a lot of heat wasted.

What BS the wood is only 5 years seasoned ???? How could of all people YOU have less than perfect wood ???

Well, things happen! :cheese:

Backwoods Savage said:
200 degree stove top with a load of coals is not alot of heat in my book. If my stove where in the 1st floor living room then sure, that might be just enough to stay comfortable. But in a 1200sqft concrete coffin stove might as well be stone cold at that point. And when the upstairs is only 61 degrees I don't want to wait on coals to burn down. I want fire and I want it now. The theory here is to get more heat out of the wood by keeping it burning with fire and having less coals when it does finally burn down so there is room for wood. Once my stove goes below 500 I'm loosing the battle against BTU loss. Pre EPA I could just keep throwing it in cause coals weren't an issue. Hopefully if I get the Elm installed this weekend I'll find out if it has a better balance of wood vs coals. One thing is for sure, I'll have room for about 3xs the wood and I'll be able to slow it down better.

I don't think I mentioned anything about 200 degrees.

For sure 200 degrees is not much heat. It's like having no stove.

A Load of coals is between 200-300 degrees stove top on my stove. Thats were the problem lies. On the other side it will not maintain 500+ for more than a few hrs unless I'm constantly feeding it, and then the coal base will be building faster than it burns down. The coals aren't all bad, as it will allow relights several hrs later if we are gone. Pre EPA would have been stone cold before. Used to go through alot of kindling. Haven't used a stick in 6wks.

Status
Not open for further replies.