Another cracked PE insert replaced

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

jqgs214

Minister of Fire
Dec 19, 2006
Riverhead, NY
Ok,

Contacted distributor and sent pictures. Will wait to see the response. They were very cordial on the phone and said PE usually wants to weld cracks. Let me know what you guys this of my cracks. Very similar to the ones everyone else has been experiencing.

Attachments

• crack1resize.jpg
    crack1resize.jpg
    86.6 KB · Views: 1,376
  • crack 2 resize.jpg
    crack 2 resize.jpg
    106.1 KB · Views: 1,416
  • crack 3 resize.jpg
    crack 3 resize.jpg
    95.6 KB · Views: 1,393
Don't know what you warranty is - but given the hassle some of the folks have had with getting PE to fix/replace their stoves, welding might be the easiest route to get you burning again. I know that one of the things I like about my steel plate Englander is that I wouldn't hesitate to weld-up a crack - not such an easy option with cast iron or soapstone.

I think BB pointed out that the cracks we are seeing on these PE stoves are with their inserts. Also how old is the stove, i.e. year made?

Good luck,
Bill

I am having a little trouble visualizing where the cracks are located

the picture on the top left is on the faceplate upper left corner?

upper right picture, is it with the baffle removed upper rear?

bottom left picture, ??? could not guess where it is actually located within the stove?

And I guess it is impossible to ascertain if the cracks are through the entire stove body?

Edit, Stove was installed 7-17-2007, not sure of manufacture date but I think it was end of 2006.

Upper left photo is on the right side of the door frame about an inch below the edge of the top part of the door frame. The other two photos are inside the door frame edge to the upper front end of the fire box. The baffle is in place for these photos. It is where the side rail meets the top rail just inside the door opening on both sides. Hope that clarifies things. As far as welding goes, one member had their cracks welded and the cracks returned but I may need to go that route too. Time will tell.

As was explained to me, the internal cracks are nothing to be too concerned about from a safety standpoint. They will not let any additional air into the firebox. Keep an eye on the external crack. As far as burning goes, I wouldn't let it stop you as of now. I still run mine with a very small hairline crack on the face and with the internal cracks re-welded. PE said just to monitor it, and if it continues to grow, then it should be looked at.
Start a paper trail, however.

That looks similar to what I experienced. My PE Pacific is a 2005, so the manufacturing time periods are similar. When you speak with PE, ask if they can extend your 5 year comprehensive warranty, if you decide to go the repair route.

My stove was repaired and the cracks returned. It has been decided that the firebox will be replaced. I am still waiting for the new firebox (my warranty claim was submitted late June). I think the dealer is taking their time to set up the reinstallation. Extreme patience is needed for these claims!

I will lean toward replacement and site your issue Sisu if you don't mind. I have not spoken directly to PE yet. I am letting the distributor handle it so far and will await the response they get from PE if I am not satisfied at that point I will climb the proverbial ladder. I dont need a delaer to install I can do it myself if the distributor sends me a new one.

Dang it! This is the stove that replaced the cracked Dutchwest insert in 2007. >:-(

wxman said:
Ok,

Contacted distributor and sent pictures. Will wait to see the response. They were very cordial on the phone and said PE usually wants to weld cracks. Let me know what you guys this of my cracks. Very similar to the ones everyone else has been experiencing.

Really sorry to hear that! Keep us posted on how PE and your dealer handle this..

Good Luck!

Ray

Checked mine, still looks good.

Here are some of my cracks
Pe wants to repair .... But I don't think I have any say since they have to pay..
One would think since they know about this problem.. and acknowledge it may come back why not just replace?

Attachments

• STOVE 008-1.jpg
    STOVE 008-1.jpg
    83.8 KB · Views: 992
  • STOVE 010-1.jpg
    STOVE 010-1.jpg
    95.9 KB · Views: 993
Looks like a sloppy weld fill above the crack. Does that square cutout go all the way through?

Out of curiosity, how many cracked PE stoves have we seen on this sight?

I am guessing about 5, all of roughly the same vintage.

Yeah, One cracked stove to another, I got the jinx! Good memory! BAC sales (my distributor) has submitted pics to PE and are awaiting their response. Will keep you all posted.

hemlock said:
My last count was approximately 11 forum members, including you. The stoves ranged from Summit and Pacific inserts to a Vista stove. All seemed to be manufactured around the 2005 - 2006 time periods.

Sisu said:
hemlock said:
My last count was approximately 11 forum members, including you. The stoves ranged from Summit and Pacific inserts to a Vista stove. All seemed to be manufactured around the 2005 - 2006 time periods.

My recently installed T-5 was made in 2007 I hope it doesn't get this problem and I hope all those with this trouble get taken care of..

Ray

Well I heard back from the Dist. already. They said PE wants it welded and will only pay $150.00 and to contact the installer. Well contacting the installer is out of the question for me becasue of how I got this stove through BAC and as a replacement for the Century the installer said he would not cover warranty issues since he was not a dealer for the PE brand. What do you guys think it will cost to weld the three spots. I told BAC I was not very comfortable with a weld repair but it may be my only option. Anyone know any good welders on the east end of Long Island?

Thoughts?

wxman said:
Well I heard back from the Dist. already. They said PE wants it welded and will only pay $150.00 and to contact the installer. Well contacting the installer is out of the question for me becasue of how I got this stove through BAC and as a replacement for the Century the installer said he would not cover warranty issues since he was not a dealer for the PE brand. What do you guys think it will cost to weld the three spots. I told BAC I was not very comfortable with a weld repair but it may be my only option. Anyone know any good welders on the east end of Long Island?

Thoughts?

What does BAC mean?

Ray

BAC Sales is the distributor responsible for getting me my stove.

wxman said:
BAC Sales is the distributor responsible for getting me my stove.

LOL good thought a new acronym popped up.. BTW I know you're a weatherman and I find that stuff fascinating and many weathermen get baffled by the weather here.. Do you forecast on TV or radio?

Ray

wxman said:

Thoughts?

That's exactly what they told me, right down to the bogus $150 limit. Don't settle. You'll be hard pressed to get a welder for that price (I got luck with a guy down the road who did it in place). Push them, and they'll do better. "Lifetime warranty" does not mean $150 cap on repairs.

Reactions: firebroad
hemlock said:
wxman said:

Thoughts?

That's exactly what they told me, right down to the bogus $150 limit. Don't settle. You'll be hard pressed to get a welder for that price (I got luck with a guy down the road who did it in place). Push them, and they'll do better. "Lifetime warranty" does not mean $150 cap on repairs.

+1 whatever it costs is the repair..

Ray

This part of the OP has bugged me every since he posted. This is just one distributor and right off the bat he knows that "...PE usually wants to weld cracks."

Just how many cracks have they been wanting to weld?

Reactions: firebroad
So far I'm really disappointed in what I'm hearing as to how PE is handling these issues. Not much different than Vermont Castings poor customer service. You shouldn't have to press them to get them to fix and cover the costs of a defect.

Status
Not open for further replies.