Another newb startup question

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

mikebinthesky

Aug 31, 2015
Clinton,Ohio
I'm running a Napoleon 1402 insert.
Is it OK to turn blowers off during startup to get to peak temp(500 or so)faster?
I dont want to risk damage to stove or blowers.
Thanks for the patience with a new dude!

Yes, that should be fine. Some folks run their inserts with the blower off when they're watching tv or reading. Most do during power outages. ;)

Reactions: mikebinthesky
I did too last year,when i first got the stove.I read somewhere that there was risk of cooking the blowers.
Information overload in the last year lol.Thank you much!

I did too last year,when i first got the stove.I read somewhere that there was risk of cooking the blowers.

I have same stove and always start up without blower on.... Never a prob, but I start slowing the air down at about 450 with peak temp goal in the 500-550 range. I shut down from wide open to 4 then to 2 and then low in 5-10 min increments.

I'd be more concerned with cooking the blower if it was located at the rear of the insert. Some inserts are built this way which is poor design IMO.

don't have the stove but i have blowers on my free standing summit. if i don't turn the blowers off, the air has a tendency to pull a little smoke from the box.

Yes, that should be fine. Some folks run their inserts with the blower off when they're watching tv or reading. Most do during power outages. ;)
If the power went off with a cat stove, should the bypass be open or closed so you could still get secondaires?

Thanks

If the power went off with a cat stove, should the bypass be open or closed so you could still get secondaires?

Thanks
it shouldn't matter if the power goes off, you run the stove the same way as you do when the power is on. its the blower, if you have one, that is effected.

Status
Not open for further replies.