1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. myzamboni

myzamboni Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Silicon Valley
    Here's a new one.

Got to watch my secondary flame in full effect while sitting through a 5.6 earthquake last night. Fortunately, nothing damaged, but imagine if the quake was strong enough to create a leak :gulp:

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. babalu87

babalu87 New Member

Loc:
    middleborough, ma.
    Cause a leak where?
    As long as the stove wasnt bolted to the floor I would think the only way a quake could cause a leak would be if it got thrown into something of greater mass like a mountain.

Raging Wildfires, earthquakes and all the knut jobz in LA LA Land, I'll take the occasional Blizzard and 7 months of naked deciduous trees TYVM :)
  3. myzamboni

Loc:
    Silicon Valley
    3 little screws are not match for major earthquakes. My stove pipe is exposed, not nestled in a chimney.
  4. babalu87

babalu87 New Member

Loc:
    middleborough, ma.
    I got you
    I dont think there are many installations that are quake proof. I would imagine if it happened while you were sleeping on a cold night the stove is the first thing you run to (unless you have kids)
    Do you have a contingency plan in case that did happen with a roaring fire? A wool blanket stuffed in the opening I guess?
  5. woodconvert

woodconvert Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Fenton Michigan
    Absolutely no experience with shakey groung...cripes, it gives me the willey's thinking about it. But, "A wool blanket stuffed in the opening I guess?"...wool doesn't burn???. I've never tried to light a sheep but I would have guessed fiberglass insulation in a pinch.

Sounds like you need your stove/chimney assembly on one of those Japanese isolator plates so it can move separate from the house ;-)
  6. myzamboni

Loc:
    Silicon Valley
    LOL! a caster kit for my Jotul!!!
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.