Another which stove should I buy thread :-)

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

rt014

Dec 16, 2014
Essex County, New York
I appreciate your opinions in advance - I have read through many older threads and done searches....

I have an ancient Vermont Castings Defiant stove that I'd like to replace with something more up to date.

Requirements:

1) Glass front door to see fire
2) Approximately 2800 square feet, old house (avg to below avg insulation)
3) Must vent from rear to replace existing stove which is positioned just in front of old fireplace with 8"? chimney pipe
4) Must not require any electricity
5) Ability to cook on top
6) Will be a secondary source of heat while people are home (extremely long burn times not as important)
7) Wood for me is free and plentiful (70 acres of woods)

I currently run a Central Boiler outdoor wood burning furnace with propane as my backup. This new stove would be additional backup or for when he outdoor wood burning boiler just can't keep up (e.g., sub zero temps).

I'm also not sure I want a catalytic stove (particularly if they require power).

Please give me some ideas for what I should be looking at. After lurking here quite a bit, I've logged the following names as a start:
-Jotul F55
-Enviro Boston 1200 FS

I like the idea of a steel stove with a cast iron jacket. I also prefer the raw unpainted look of cast iron.

What others should I be thinking about?
Thanks

The Jotul F55 will work, 30" top of flue collar. The Quadrafire Explorer III has a reversible flue collar and should also work. Of the two the Jotul is the simplest design.
In catalytic stoves take a look at the Woodstock Ideal Steel.
The Enviro Boston 1200 is too small and top vent only.

Last edited:
How much wind are you dealing with? I'm just south of you on Schroon and wind can change things a lot.

I would say wind is not an issue. It has never been for me for the 15 years I've been there. Even when the wind has whipped up, I've had no issues with the current Vermont Castings stove.