Another wood ID please

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
its not hickory if its splits easy and is light..... that im sure of.

If hickory is straight grained and grew up shielded from the wind it can be easy to split, but it isn't ever light. So I agree, not hickory.

Here goes nothing...Poplar or Cottonwood...If it is soft wood

Bark is wrong (at least for the yellow poplar I have around here). I agree that the inside and his description fit perfect, but the bark is wrong.

The bark looks like a conifer to me...........and those tend to be light and split easy.

The only conifers I have on a regular basis are southern yellow pine, and it's not that.......

What are the common conifers that grow in Michigan?

I think you guys are right with willow. I've never split any but reading about it (black willow) the description fits well. One thing that stands out is that it's said to be hard to work with in joinery because of grain tearout - and I see plenty of that in the heartwood in the OP's pics.

The bark and description of it being light just screams pine to me.

The bark and description of it being light just screams pine to me.

It is not a conifer native to Michigan, and it sure looks deciduous to me. I'm going to stick with Willow, as my final answer.

I think you guys are right with willow. I've never split any but reading about it (black willow) the description fits well. One thing that stands out is that it's said to be hard to work with in joinery because of grain tearout - and I see plenty of that in the heartwood in the OP's pics.

I am splitting some wood that looks a lot like the OP's picture. It is light and splits easy (after about 2" to 4" through the log splitter it splits). I got it from a tree service and the guy there said it was willow. Also, there is a green willow-like branch in the last picture. I see that black willow has a btu rating of 14. No wonder the tree service let me have it.
wood 001.JPG wood 002.JPG wood 003.JPG

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.