any advice much appreciated: installing Jotul F100

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

smokinokie

Hearth Supporter
Dec 19, 2010
OKC Ok
I just purchased a Jotul F100 wood stove - it will arrive in a couple of weeks and I have a TON of questions.

Would like to install everything myself, have been told by a couple of local suppliers that this is not an irresponsible thing to try to do myself w/ no experience. The Jotul installation information and diagram from their website is helpful but leaves me with a lot of questions.

I also would like to buy the stovepipe and chimney pipe and all other parts online from a single source if possible.

I don't have an existing chimney. I have a single story home, 8 foot ceiling, 7/12 pitch roof.

I want to use double wall stove pipe so I can set the stove a little closer to wall while maintaining Jotuls defined clearances (plus a couple of inches to be extra safe).

I am top-venting my stove and going straight up and out my roof as high as possible for maximum draft. My chosen location for the stove will put the chimney through the roof pretty close to the ridgeline, going through 4-5 feet of attic space.

I am getting a new roof within the next month and want to have everything installed right up to the point of poking the chimney through the roof so the roofer can do the flashing while he is there already installing the new roof.

I want a safe, quality, long lasting venting system and am willing to spend extra for it.

(1) will buying online save me much money?

(2) if yes, which sites are best (I have been looking mostly at VentingPipe.com)?

(3) which brands are best (I am leaning toward Simpson Dura-Vent)?

(4) I am trying to glean as much helpful info online as I can about self-installation...any helpful sites or threads on this site (with diagrams especially for an installation situation like mine)?

(5) how high should I try to go with my chimney pipe above where it exits the roof? (I don't have a lot of trees especially close to where the chimney will be) It can be VERY windy here in central Oklahoma so that should limit the height, right?

(6) this is probably a dumb question but do I need a damper section of stovepipe? (the Jotul diagram does not show one)

(7) is it better to use fixed-length sections or telescoping stovepipe? From my rough calculations the top of my stove will be about 2 feet off the floor so I need about 6 feet of stovepipe, right? I would prefer to not have to make any cuts of stovepipe but will if thats better than telescoping. At what point do I need to stop my stovepipe vertical run (exactly flush with the ceiling or into the attic a bit)?

(8) is a "ceiling support box" recommended? (and what is it's purpose exactly?) Does the vertical length of this box figure into the amount of stovepipe I need or does the stove pipe run through it?

(9) what critical pieces of information do self-installers typically overlook???

Thanks so much for any information!

Your installation is similar to our installation. Here's a link to our pipe going in.

https://www.hearth.com/econtent/index.php/forums/viewthread/3166/

Questions answered in context below.

smokinokie said:
(1) will buying online save me much money?

Yes, probably.

(2) if yes, which sites are best (I have been looking mostly at VentingPipe.com)?

I've had very good luck working with the folks at www.dynamitebuys.com. Others have done well with www.northlineexpress.com and www.hartshearth.com.

(3) which brands are best (I am leaning toward Simpson Dura-Vent)?

Simpson makes good pipe. It's what we have. ICC Excel is considered the best by some.

(4) I am trying to glean as much helpful info online as I can about self-installation...any helpful sites or threads on this site (with diagrams especially for an installation situation like mine)?

Download the Simpson DuraVent installation manual from their website. It covers your install well.

(5) how high should I try to go with my chimney pipe above where it exits the roof? (I don't have a lot of trees especially close to where the chimney will be) It can be VERY windy here in central Oklahoma so that should limit the height, right?

The pipe must be at least 3 ft higher than the exit point of the roof and at least 2 ft higher than any roof section within 10ft. If this requires it to be taller than 5ft. the pipe will need a roof brace.

(6) this is probably a dumb question but do I need a damper section of stovepipe? (the Jotul diagram does not show one)

No, it is unlikely that this would be necessary. The pipe is not going to be that tall.

(7) is it better to use fixed-length sections or telescoping stovepipe? From my rough calculations the top of my stove will be about 2 feet off the floor so I need about 6 feet of stovepipe, right? I would prefer to not have to make any cuts of stovepipe but will if thats better than telescoping. At what point do I need to stop my stovepipe vertical run (exactly flush with the ceiling or into the attic a bit)?

A section of telescoping connector pipe really makes installation and cleaning easier. The class A pipe starts as soon as you pentrate the ceiling. The support box connection starts about 3-6" below the ceiling.

(8) is a "ceiling support box" recommended? (and what is it's purpose exactly?) Does the vertical length of this box figure into the amount of stovepipe I need or does the stove pipe run through it?

Yes, it is what is supporting the weight of the class A pipe. It can be round or square. Look at the installation manual for close up pictures.

(9) what critical pieces of information do self-installers typically overlook???

Clearances. Bracing for the roof pipe. Proper sealing.

Thanks so much for any information!

How many square feet of home are you heating with the F100 Jotul?
The area of install, is it combustable or non-combustable?

My house is 1050 square feet.

The area of install is wood floor and sheetrock wall w/ wood trim so definitely combustible.

I'm routing the chimney pipe between two ceiling joists that are 14" apart and then between two rafters that are 23" apart, centered of course for max clearance. (I have no idea why my rafters are so far apart but my house was built in '54 so I guess that's how they did it back then...the next rafter over is 28" away!)

Thanks so much for the help!

The fellow that spaced our floor joists must have later worked on your house. We have similar spacing. More by eye than by ruler I think.

Basically the same deal as what i went through last february. You can get the double walled chimney pipe at Lowes. Go on eBay and get a couple 10% off coupons for a few bucks and use them when you buy the chimney. Will save you some nice coin. Installation is pretty simple once you get into it. I was worried when i started as i never did one before. Just maintain your clearance to combustibles. Read through all the documentation that comes with the stove and chimney and then read it again. Keep a copy in your bathroom to grab every time you sit on the toilet.

Go with the telescoping double walled stove pipe. Easier install and if you ever need to clean your chimney or move your stove you will be thanking yourself.

Sent from my iPad

Status
Not open for further replies.