Any ideas on how to clean the fine ash inside all bags of pellets?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

hesria

Hearth Supporter
Dec 21, 2010
DOVER NH
I have been burning Turman pellets with my Englander 25-PDVC and I have noticed that the TURMAN has a lot of fines in every bag. I was wondering if anybody has ways to filter them out?

Less than $20 in PVC material (Not counting Shop-vac).

To each there own. I only Sift the bags for my Quad....

The other 2 just eat them.

Attachments

• Any ideas on how to clean the fine ash inside all bags of pellets?
    sifter.jpg
    70.9 KB · Views: 452
DexterDay said:
I only Sift the bags for my Quad....

The pellets I use don't have many fines, so I've never had a prob w/fines, or had to sift.

What happens with your quad if you don't sift?

The little fines I have seem to get carried up the auger and fall down the chute with the pellets.

smoke show said:
DexterDay said:
I only Sift the bags for my Quad....

The pellets I use don't have many fines, so I've never had a prob w/fines, or had to sift.

What happens with your quad if you don't sift?

The little fines I have seem to get carried up the auger and fall down the chute with the pellets.

Because its a Spring style auger, the fines sit at the bottom of the hopper. A hollow spring will not carry sawdust (fines). A solid Screw and Cylinder style auger carries fines pretty good. Some better than others.

So it slowly builds up and restricts the feed of pellets. Decreasing the amount sent up the auger.

Some of my pellets have very little fines, some have a lot... But sifting shows you that its not just fines at the end of the bags.... Go very slow, and you will see they come out the entire pour. Lighter until the mid point, but after that, most would be surprised by the actual amount in each bag (Jay shows in his testing).

Only takes me a minute. I have only used the Quad a little bit this year. Because of the weather, there have been only a few nights it ran constantly (On), but most nights its on T-stat. A full hopper made it 3 days this week. (Fahreheit needed a combustion blower and a few other updates). But the furnace is back on-line and running strong.

I've never had a problem, was just wondering.

In fact I don't think I've ever vacuumed out the auger area.

Maybe have a tablespoon or 2 of fines per bag, just a guess.

Like I said earlier the small amount I have seems to travel up the auger on mine.

just sayin.

i keep it simple and have never felt the ill effects of fines. when i pour a sack into hopper i stop with about an inch or 2 left in the bag. i dip into the bag with a pool skimmer basket, (i used to use a "scolapasta") give it a few shakes in the bag & dump the basket into hopper.

ray

Here is something I made/posted that I still use for every bag of pellets and has worked well for me.

PoolGuyinCT said:
i keep it simple and have never felt the ill effects of fines. when i pour a sack into hopper i stop with about an inch or 2 left in the bag. i dip into the bag with a pool skimmer basket, (i used to use a "scolapasta") give it a few shakes in the bag & dump the basket into hopper.

ray

I am sure the wife appreciated that

never have had trouble with fines

I'm a pellet sifter believer too. :)

Hamers pellets have a lot of fines this year, and I don't see the point in dumping all that extra sawdust into my stove. My feeling is that it will eventually work it's way into my auger motor bushing and cause trouble, why accelerate the process by dumping useless sawdust into my hopper? It only takes a minute or two per bag and also cuts down on the dust that would normally fly out when pouring bags into the hopper.

DexterDay said:

i made the sifter like Dexter shows.Works great.I showed to my son in law and he wants to make one.It really picks the dust out.Besides it's easier pouring the pellets in from a bucket than the bag.If you ever let the bag touch the hot spots on a stove you'll see what i mean.

DexterDay said:

OK, I've seen this before but can't figure out how it works. Can you explain? Never mind... I figured it out.

Status
Not open for further replies.