Any MS 270 tips?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

NortheastAl

Minister of Fire
Dec 30, 2012
Putnam, NY
Got an MS 270 that'll be here in about a week. Of course, it's used. Any tips on what I should do as normal checkup and maintenance on a used one?

Start it up and run it. Report back on how that goes. ==c If the saw runs great then a general inspection/cleaning is in order.

The nice part about 2 cycles is you change the oil every time you fill the tank, automatically. Spark plugs last a VERY long time and fuel filters and oil pickup lines rarely plug unless the machine is totally neglected.

If you want to give it the spa treatment..... Take the air filter off, split the halves with a screwdriver and blow it out. You can also clean it with non-chlorinated brake cleaner or electrical contact cleaner and blow it dry. Blow from the inside of the filter out.

Leave the fuel filters and oil pickup alone if you are not having running/oiling problems with it. Check the sprocket, bar, and chain for wear. You can pull the clutch drum and re-grease the bearing. Of course, clean and blow things out as you go.

And sharpen that chain! ;)

Reactions: NortheastAl
Thanks. That all makes good sense, MasterMech. You gave me a good place to start. It's obviously hard to know exactly what to do until I see if it runs, and how it runs. Thanks again.

Same as any saw Air compressor your friend.

Status
Not open for further replies.