Any opinions on Jotul or Quardra-Fire ?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I've had the Quad 2100m for a few years. I got it used and in good shape. It heats my 1000 sq. ft. basement just fine and throws some heat up to the main floor. I needed to use the outside air due to a basement install with external chimney (it was already there) so the optional hookup was nice. If I burn dry wood the glass stays clean - wet wood not so much. Also seems to burn very efficiently and is easy to control. The only thing I don't like about it is the firebrick. It is soft and has started to crumble. I replaced a few bricks but this is reminding me that I wanted to redo them all before winter.

Out of curiosity, how big is the office you are installing in? My 2100 is in an open ~600-700 sqft area and it gets hot. I usually heat that area first and then open the doors to the other 300 or so sqft unfinished part of the basement to even things out. A 3100 in an office may get a bit warm.

staplebox said:
I've had the Quad 2100m for a few years. I got it used and in good shape. It heats my 1000 sq. ft. basement just fine and throws some heat up to the main floor. I needed to use the outside air due to a basement install with external chimney (it was already there) so the optional hookup was nice. If I burn dry wood the glass stays clean - wet wood not so much. Also seems to burn very efficiently and is easy to control. The only thing I don't like about it is the firebrick. It is soft and has started to crumble. I replaced a few bricks but this is reminding me that I wanted to redo them all before winter.

Out of curiosity, how big is the office you are installing in? My 2100 is in an open ~600-700 sqft area and it gets hot. I usually heat that area first and then open the doors to the other 300 or so sqft unfinished part of the basement to even things out. A 3100 in an office may get a bit warm.

My office is only 300 sq ft, but 6 feet in front of the stove are 6ft wide french doors to another 700 sq ft. I also have a door to another small 250 sq ft room about 3 feet to the left of the stove. I really wanted to go with the Jotul, but after all the negative comments Im reading about smoke leaking out of them if the piping isnt just right, I think I will go with the quadra fire.

Well, the price went up on the jotul 4000 castine to 2839 installed from the dealer I had gotten a quote from, since they were not longer offering a discount. I ended up going with the Cumberland Gap instead of the 400 castine or the quad 3100. I figure that most of the days while Im downstairs I wont feed it as many logs and just use it to heat the 900 sq ft while Im there, but when I go upstairs for the evening I'll add more wood and turn on the central air system fan to try to circulate the heat around the whole house more and cut down on the propane bills if possible (hopefully my idea is realistic). My local retailer sells at full MSRP price for all his stoves, but since he only had the floor model in stock, which has only been on the floor this year (I know for sure, since last spring it wasnt there when we went to look) he gave me a small discount of $125.00, so the stove was 2174.00, not a great price, but not horrible either. Of course after a 150.00 chimney inspection (at my request), installation, delivery, fire screen, and tax, it came to 2800.00 even.

I dont know if I made an great decision, but I know that even the unpainted cumberland gap is a lot prettier looking than the 3100 and rated for more heat/sq ft. than the jotul. Plus, the owner of this place is a lot nicer to deal with than any one else Ive met and his business is local which made me feel good.

Congrats. The Cumberland Gap is a nice looking stove.

Most people find that furnace or central air fan doesn't work very well to distribute heat. Too
much temperature loss in the duct system.

Looks like you picked a great stove. That side loading is going to be a pleasure and the sucker is really nice looking. Enjoy and get some pics up here when it is installed.

If you don't want a steel stove, they rule I think I have said before, then the Cumberland Gap is a real nice cast alternative. :lol:

northwinds said:

Most people find that furnace or central air fan doesn't work very well to distribute heat. Too

Thanks for the info. I guess if it doesnt work very well I will just open the door to the upstairs and put a big fan there and blow the hot air up, maybe that will work. I have a ceiling fan too...but I doubt that will help much.

jcolgan said:
northwinds said:

Thanks for the info. I guess if it doesnt work very well I will just open the door to the upstairs and put a big fan there and blow the hot air up, maybe that will work. I have a ceiling fan too...but I doubt that will help much.

Actually putting a fan at the top of the stairs and blowing the cold air down works best. The warm air runs right up the stairs to replace it.

BrotherBart said:
jcolgan said:
northwinds said:

Actually putting a fan at the top of the stairs and blowing the cold air down works best. The warm air runs right up the stairs to replace it.

No kidding! I'll give that a shot, thanks :)

Put the fan at floor level at the top of the stairs and put a couple of TP streamers at the top of the opening to view the results.

The only problem is somebody tripping over the fan and falling down the stairs. :shut:

BrotherBart said:
Looks like you picked a great stove. That side loading is going to be a pleasure and the sucker is really nice looking. Enjoy and get some pics up here when it is installed.

If you don't want a steel stove, they rule I think I have said before, then the Cumberland Gap is a real nice cast alternative. :lol:

I haven't taken one apart, but I think the Cumberland Gap is like the Alderlea, a cast iron tux on a steel body. But classier in enamel. It is a nice looking stove and one I considered pretty strongly cuz the door is on the right side.

Status
Not open for further replies.