Any sucess with the burn down method

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

pro5oh

Hearth Supporter
Aug 19, 2008
downeast Maine
I watched a video about starting a fire once. They started with the firewood on the bottom then the kindling and then paper on top. They said it works great because it doesnt collapse on itself as it burns. Just wondering if anyone does this regularly with good results.

many will reply( I am asusming...)-- it works great...

I wouldn't have ever thought ti would work so well, till I tried it.

I taught the wife( she sure did suck at starting fires till I showed her this....)

It has worked well for me too. I found that it reduces the amount of babysitting you have to do.

-SF

Never tried it, but should just for personal interest. I typically use the bottom up with a fire starter.....has always worked fast and easy for me.

I use a modified top down fire. Two bigs logs placed parallel with firestarter in the middle then a bunch of kindling
on top. Works great!!!! you don't have to open the door to add more logs for about 2hrs.

bluefrier said:
I use a modified top down fire. Two bigs logs placed parallel with firestarter in the middle then a bunch of kindling
on top. Works great!!!! you don't have to open the door to add more logs for about 2hrs.

+1 for this method. This works great for smaller fireboxes.

I try to avoid the use of the phrase "burn down". Rick

fossil said:
I try to avoid the use of the phrase "burn down". Rick

Oh....yes, good point!

I had very little success with the top down method,

I started using a similar method, place a large split in the back of the stove to bring the kindling and paper towards the front/air intake. Then build the fire from there, If it collapses, it is easy to stir or add some larger kindling.

Also for starting on bad draft days like today (outside temp is about the same as inside temp) I crumple and stuff a piece of newspaper ontop of the baffle and light it first. This really starts the draft going well and aids in getting the fire started.

I grew up with a woodstove and tended to it daily at my parents house. we never started fires like that. Once I got my own place and stove, I watched that very same video and tried it one day..To tell you the truth, I like top down much better! I roll and twist the paper and tie into knots..works awesome!

Tried it a few times but had limited success. The time it did work for me though it was awesome.

Status
Not open for further replies.