Any winter forecast yet?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Same as last year. Cold as f--k in the Mid-Atlantic, Northeast and further North, and warmer than usual everywhere else. Except for maybe South East getting bit by the "Polar Vortex" also.

That's just my prediction

I go with the wisdom of the Natives:

A trapper out in the west prepares for the winter by chopping his firewood when a Sioux walks by. Considering the Natives' knowledge of nature the trapper asks the Sioux how cold the winter will be. "Oh, it will be a cold winter." the Sioux replies. "I'll better cut some more firewood then." the trapper thinks to himself and keeps splitting and stacking. A few days later, the Sioux stops by again so the trapper asks:"Are you sure it will be a cold winter?" "Yes, it will be a really cold winter." he gets as a reply. Thinking his stash may not be enough yet, the trapper continues cutting, splitting, stacking until he has his little cabin literally surrounded by firewood. Resting exhausted he notices the Sioux walking by a third time. Looking proudly at all his stacks he shouts over:"It cannot be such a cold winter, can it?" The Sioux shouts back:"Oh yes, it will be a really, really cold winter." Disturbed by that dire forecast the trapper shoots up and runs over to the Sioux. "Please tell me how do you know? Is it the trees, the birds, the clouds, some ancient spirits telling you? Why do you forecast such a terrible winter?" The Sioux answers:"That's easy. White man splitting lots of firewood." ;lol

So far they are calling for a mild winter for us. This El Nino is strong and should keep us in a warmer and drier condition. Not good for the ski slopes or snowpack, but easier on the wood pile.

They are predicting warm for us (U.P. MI). But we are on the eastern edge of the western warm forecast area and the other side it's being called out as stupid cold again so I'm not, taking any chances (ntm the "warmest" winters I've ever seen up here were still below zero most of January.)

El Nino will likely be mild and wet for us. Mild meaning lots of snow or a huge lack there of as well as melt freeze scenarios which I cant stand. Its like spring, cold one week and then just above freezing for the next. 6 inches of ice in the driveway, ice daming on the roof and a shorter ice fishing season. Anything will be better than the biblicaly mild winter we had last year though. It looks like California might get some well deserved rain which would be great for them!

I predict that once again it will be below freezing for at least 60 days and heat will be required.

Status
Not open for further replies.