Winter 2024

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Our November was colder than average, then December and January were stupid-warm. But February has been remarkably normal, here.
We sit in a similar weather region. I agree with this statement. Got that 1 or 2 February snow storms that quickly melts over the weekend. The most snow we have had this winter.

Reactions: Ashful
The last two snowfalls we received what I think was a total of 12 inches , it was sugar snow so it was easy plowing.

We have some warmer temps coming in with rain so that should melt a bunch of the snow, we'll see what the rest of February will bring.

if the local guys are right (i don't think so) starting on friday we have temps close to 50 then a little cooler on the weekend then starting monday we'll have low 50's for the week and the extended forecast for temps to be in the high 40's to low 50's for the next 14 days which will bring us to the beginning of march. nice if so. yes i do remember the march we had in 2015 with the city of boston had a total of 103 inches. we had 3 back to back storms of 3 feet each that's when i quit plowing for a living

if the local guys are right (i don't think so) starting on friday we have temps close to 50 then a little cooler on the weekend then starting monday we'll have low 50's for the week and the extended forecast for temps to be in the high 40's to low 50's for the next 14 days which will bring us to the beginning of march. nice if so. yes i do remember the march we had in 2015 with the city of boston had a total of 103 inches. we had 3 back to back storms of 3 feet each that's when i quit plowing for a living
The forecast highs for the next three days for our area are 45, 45 & 40 but Saturday the forecast high is only 13 with a low of 3. After Saturday the temps jump back up in the 30's & 40's, that will be nice.

Reactions: fbelec
Weatherman this morning said to forget chances of snow this year as the models for our area show warm up starting next week and staying that way.

I think i will go out and fire up the snow blower for the first time this year just in case.
then you know for sure there won't be any snow.
Just as when you take that umbrella to prevent rain.

i hope spring is around the corner. we'll see next week

Hoping for a few more weeks of frozen Saturday mornings, so I can get more wood split. I just got thru the 2021 pile in December, before things got warm and muddy, and then quickly did about half of the 2022 pile the last two cold weekends. I'll be real happy if I can get thru CSS'ing all of the 2022 logs before it's too warm and muddy to move logs in the wood lot.

Of course, that also relies on me burning enough to make shed space for the incoming.

overstock problems 1st country living problems
Ever since hurricane Sandy in 2012, it's been a constant slog of more trees coming down than I could ever hope to process and stack. A freak tornado ripped through our area, and we ended up selling something like 160 cords of logs and chipping 400 tons of branch wood. EAB is taking down neighbors trees faster than I can cut them, etc.

The next two mornings will be 24F and 19F, so I'll be getting out early to split as much as I have room to stack, maybe move more wood up to the house, and try to take down a few more EAB dead ash behind my house. The ash are not my favorite thing to split and stack, way less BTU and burn time than oak, but they have to come down anyway.

Winter is done here. Will be the occasional morning fire when we don’t have to rush out of the house. Maybe tomorrow. Planning on planting tomatoes in 4 weeks.

Reactions: thewoodlands
With the lack of snowfall this winter, hopefully we have a wet spring.

1709435415065.png

We only received four inches of snow from this storm which is nice, hopefully with the warmer weather & rain, it will be gone by Friday or Saturday. We have more wind today but we never did receive the 40 - 50 mph gust they were calling for, another good miss.

We are starting to warm up here not after the warmest US winter on record.

Last edited:
Reactions: fbelec
lack of snow, but not lack of precipitation. We got a mess of rain in the northeast. Most of our storms were wet not white
On March 16 the NYS Burn Ban starts, we usually dry out real fast even if we had a old fashion winter. Lately we go from winter to summer, hopefully this year we have a spring.

already giving forest fire warnings.NYS burn ban ain't going to do much lol
It will stop some from burning huge piles of brush during the ban but not all. Most people will take the branches to the town wood dump, once that gets full they have it chipped.

We are starting to warm up here not after the warmest US winter on record.
... and just when we relax and take down the plow markers, is when Mother Nature will sucker-punch us in the gut. ;lol

<-- took down the plow markers today, it's almost time to mow!