Anyone burn quaky?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

bfunk13

Minister of Fire
Sep 11, 2008
Wyoming
A friend of mine burns nothing but quaky wood.
Just wondering if anyone here burns it?
What kind of heat does it burn at, smoke, ash etc? Thanks!

Quaking Aspen? A little scattered around here in spots.Related to Cottonwoods & Poplar (not Tulip Poplar though I dont think). Very soft,weak,lightweight,very easy to split.Burns hot but very fast with little smoke,leaves lots of ash.Would be great for kindling however.

If as Thistle surmised you're saying quaking aspen . . . my Dad used to burn lots of it in his wood furnace that we had growing up . . . it did OK . . . me, I'll take down an aspen if it's in my way, but I don't go out of the way for popple as it isn't a high BTU wood . . . easy to process though . . . puts out heat, but no longevity or good coaling action . . . I mostly use what popple I get for the shoulder season and campfires.

bfunk13 said:
A friend of mine burns nothing but quaky wood.
Just wondering if anyone here burns it?
What kind of heat does it burn at, smoke, ash etc? Thanks!

Like Thistle mentioned we have used it for kindling our first year burning but this year we have just under two cord to burn for the shoulder season. The reason I cut it was a wind storm took down about three good size trees with one still down up top.

zap

In some areas it is the best and in some areas it is the only wood they have to burn.

Popple usually works best if burned during the daytime and/or during spring and fall when not a lot of heat is not required. Most folks around here call it gopher wood. We've burned quite a bit of it through the years and got along okay. I do not like the smell of it when you cut and split it though. It burns up fairly quick and will not give you coals but will give you a bit more ash than other woods. It can make excellent kindling wood. It splits very easy. If not covered or kept indoors the wood will not keep very long compared to other hardwoods. Hope this helps.

Thanks guys.
Really the only wood available here is pine or quaky.
I have always just cut pine and never really thought about the other stuff.

We've got a couple kinds of poplar here and they all seem to rot pretty quick.
Unless I cut a live one they're fairly rotten by the time I find a dead one.
Don't keep too well on the top of an uncovered pile/stack either.

I've got maple and oak for overnight burns in Jan/Feb.
I'd probably only burn that poplar /aspen ( and white pine) in the day .

Status
Not open for further replies.