Anyone do this for hearth?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

swanderek

Jan 16, 2018
Tacoma, WA
I need to make a hearth for my regency hearth heater. Needs to be 6.5 tall and R value of 1.1.
Do I need to frame with metal studs?
Or can I use cement blocks on the bottom with a few layers of Durock and 2 inch hearth stone in top?

In need a cheap and easy way to get a few inches on the bottom hence the blocks. No experience with metal studs

As long as you have the proper R value above it, you can use wood studs. I think this might be connected to the other threads where someone was saying you cant have any flammable material below a hearth extension but I assume you have sorted that issue out.

As long as you have the proper R value above it, you can use wood studs. I think this might be connected to the other threads where someone was saying you cant have any flammable material below a hearth extension but I assume you have sorted that issue out.
That is for a traditional fireplace the op has a prefab which is totally different

Yeah that’s why I am confused. Some people say wood studs are fine others say no way for making a hearth.
In your case as long as you follow the instructions for both the fireplace and the stove you should be fine. But you really need to read the fireplace manual well to see if what you are doing is allowed by the fireplace manufacturer. Are you coovering any vents with your raised hearth?

No vents should be covered. Temco went out of business years ago. Several shops and a certified chimney sweep said hearth heater is good to go. However a traditional insert was a grey area

No vents should be covered. Temco went out of business years ago. Several shops and a certified chimney sweep said hearth heater is good to go. However a traditional insert was a grey area
Ok but do the temco instructions say it is ok? Lots of installers say lots of things but the manufacters word is all that matters in this case.

Definitely read the manual about insulation value between the stove and combustibles, but I think metal studs are going to be overkill. My Quad 4300 sits on a pad built of (in order from stove to original floor) Ceramic tile, mortar, three layers of 1/2" durock, 1/4" plywood, and 2x4s laid flat. The tile directly under the stove has never gotten hotter than "kinda warm", and I'd be surprised of the 2x4s even knew there was a fire burning about a foot away. The manual for the stove required an R value that 2 sheets of durock would just barely meet, but since I couldn't find a reliable R value for the tile, I figured an extra sheet of durock was cheaper than an insurance claim.