ANYONE ELSE GETTING SICK OF WINTER YET?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Todd

Minister of Fire
Nov 19, 2005
NW Wisconsin
Bring on Spring! I 'm starting to get tired of the snow, cold, and yes, even the chores of the wood stove. It would be nice to see a good stretch of warmer weather around here. More forcasted below zero temps for next week! Maybe I'm getting a little cabin fever and need to get outside more? It just seems like this winter is longer than usual.

Here in Central Ohio, we really haven't had much of a winter so far. I'm ready to get some snow. Only had a couple of snow storms that produced more than a couple inches of accumulation.

-SF

I just want it to get warm so I can relax at work! This weather has put everyone into the fireplace mood and its taking its toll on me.

After this storm today and tommarow we should be close to 90" for the season! Which has already blown the old record away.

I have been sick of it since December. We are constantly doing 40-50 degree days and nights in the teens and twenties. I think I am gonna go heat pump shopping.

That and rain, rain, ice, more rain. Arrrrgh!

BB, that's how it's been here in Colo. A-lot of 20's and 30's at night, definitely makes running the stove a challenge. The good side is I have only gone through 4 face cord's so far this winter, which means I'm about 4 year's ahead on wood. I guess I'll have to take a few more motorcycle trips this summer instead of cutting wood. :)

Don't mind winter, just the temps going up and down. Keep it frosty where it is just not sloppy, to day freezing rain and plain down poors, tomorrow squalls from the lake. :ahhh:

I wish the weather would make up it's mind. We mostly just end up with a lot of mud for the dogs to play in.

I wish it would get cold and stay that way so the ground would freeze.

I'm still trying to get my hands on a supply of dry wood though... at this point a cord would do me.

-SF

I'm jealous of all you guys with snow. I've had 3 or 4 slush/snow/rain storms and no measurable accumulation to date. My 3 and 1 year olds are dying to get any snow they can play in. Send some my way, please!

All I'm really sick of is the weather that can't make up its mind. Its 47 today, going down to 43 tonight and up to 53 tomorrow. Stove has been out since this morning and not likely to fire it back up for a couple days.

Eric

It's still coming down. Here are some snow pics from our second story deck.

Attachments

• winter.JPG
    winter.JPG
    35.4 KB · Views: 509
  • deck chairs.jpg
    deck chairs.jpg
    29.4 KB · Views: 506
we're getting all ice and rain today with temps hitting 40. My entire driveway is a 1" sheet of ice. My snowpiles are at not retreating yet, nowhere for new snowfall to be pushed. Every weekend I am scavenging for wood for the upcoming week. However, the house is 70, my trusty remote by my side and afresh batch of c.c. Cookies upstairs. Could be worse off I suppose :snake:

I'm still waiting to use our snowmobiles! I would love a couple good snowfalls. Good thing I was talked into buying them after we moved to this area a couple years ago (lol)

My winter has been much more enjoyable this year since i put the insert in. I haven't ran my furnace all year and I've only used the gas space heater for a few hours total. That said. I'm still sick of winter and can't wait for spring

We have lots of snow on the ground here in N. NY The weather has been very changable too. Last night it went down to 5 . Today up to 40 and light rain. I don't realy like the cold, but once winter gets here I wish it would stay below freezing for the most part, less slushy and icey if it just stays cold.

Well YES I am.But that is what living in the upnorth is all about.LOL But with that I will take more snow and temps in the 20s as apposed to sub freezing and little snow.And also I just got the new stove running and will not mind just a little more winter this year.

Glancing at the ol' woodpile, I'm guessing that I'll be getting tired of winter in two, maybe three weeks... when the last dry split is burned. Coincidentally, that's just about when the gas/elec company rebate contest ends (use 20% less gas in Jan-Feb... they give you a 20% rebate on your actual bill. In California, utility company pay YOU!).

Of course, 'winter' around here is like late spring for you northern folks... plenty of shirtsleeve days that are perfect for a brisk walk. Also plenty of nights in the 30s and 40s when wood heat is very welcome... but not your six-month siege of subfreezing weather.

Eddy

Winter? What winter? I hate to be one of those "I remember back when" types, but winters here in the Appalachians of Western Virginia are practically non-existent anymore. We've had a whopping 1 snow of any consequence (5") all winter; that on the heels of 1 last year and 0 the year before. Temps have averaged mid 50s day and low 30s night, or higher. And yes by gosh, I remember good winters of 6-8 different snowfalls, and extended cold periods the way winter was meant to be. It's just not much fun cutting (or burning) wood when it is 65 outside, and we seem to have more of that kind of weather than good ol' keep your jacket on while you cut weather. If I thought you Yanks could handle a dam- southerner in your backyard (and vice-versa) ;-) , I swear I would move up north (I've always liked New England, especially Maine) just to experience "real" winters again.

Well you guys in the upper midwest have certainly been hammered this year. I heard today it is now the snowiest winter on record to date in your area. Plus you've had persistant cold. It does wear on you after awhile. What's kind of unusual this year is that the west, the upper midwest and the northeast, at least northern NewEngland, have all had snowy winters. Usually its one side of the country or the other. Like Web said, we've had non-stop snow cover since the beginning of December. Our average annual snowfall here in the Newfields NH area is 59". We're at 72.5" so far. We've got a good 14" on the ground with so much water frozen in it you pretty much walk on top of it. I do love winter though by around March I'm ready for it to go. Hope we don't get flooding this year when it all starts to really melt.

Pretty much had it with winter this year. My son and I just chiseled 2 ft of frozen snow/ice off the workshop roof in anticipation of a rainstorm tommorow. Lots of ice this year which really stinks when you need to drive uphill 4.5 miles to your house. Bring on spring.

I must be nuts. All week I have been dreaming of more really cold weather so I can kick my Jotul F600 into high gear. Plus, my new F400 Castine arrives tomorrow for the living room and this adds to my cold weather wish. I am sure that, before long, I too will be ready to replace wood work with weed work and that time has not come yet!

Tired of it...but it hasn't been that bad. Some real cold stuff, pretty good snows and some bizzare warm ups. Saturday we had approximately 5" of snow on the ground. Yesterday we had rain and 51F. Today back to the cold. I'm ready for spring.

Status
Not open for further replies.