1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)

Anyone else have roasted family for Christmas dinner?

Post in 'The Hearth Room - Wood Stoves and Fireplaces' started by Waulie, Dec 28, 2012.

1. Waulie

Waulie Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Nothern Lower Michigan
    Had the family over for Christmas eve and Christmas day. I'm the only wood burner of the bunch. The house was ranging between 70 and 73, and of course I had to hear about how hot it was! They all keep their thermostats under 65. I kindly suggested they remove their sweaters, sweatshirts, etc.

I didn't load the stove Christmas morning to avoid more "it's hot in here" stuff. Around 11:00 am I caught my sister backing up to the still warm stove. "I'm getting used to your hot house", she says. So, I throw another load on the fire.

I had roasted family for Christmas dinner. Oh yeah, also had beef roast cooked on the stove with pototoes, onions, and carrots. Good stuff!

Happy Holidays!
    raybonz and Backwoods Savage like this.

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. etiger2007

etiger2007 Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Clio Michigan
    Im the only wood burner to and I had twenty people in the house and they all loved the heat.
    raybonz and Backwoods Savage like this.
  3. HotCoals

HotCoals Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Rochester,Ny.
    And I bet you cleaned her all up pretty and got a nice pretty fire going before everybody came..I know I do..lol.
    Backwoods Savage likes this.
  4. etiger2007

etiger2007 Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Clio Michigan
    u
    Yup lol
  5. MaintenanceMan

MaintenanceMan Burning Hunk

Loc:
    Southern IN
    My family wasn't complaining about the heat, but they were sure interested in the stove. Mesmerized....lots of questions...
  6. Backwoods Savage

Backwoods Savage Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Michigan
    Just my wife and I and yes, I had it hot so she would remove clothing....
  7. thewoodlands

thewoodlands Minister of Fire

That is Y U have a bad back!:)
  8. Backwoods Savage

Loc:
    Michigan
    No zap, running a wood stove doesn't do that. ;)
  9. WellSeasoned

WellSeasoned Guest

When we were at the families house, we had freezer burn. As much as I enjoy spending time at the family's house, it was nice to come home and R⊙@$T!
    etiger2007 and Backwoods Savage like this.
  10. Seasoned Oak

Seasoned Oak Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Eastern Central PA
    We keep it about 75-77 Sometimes people(visitors) open windows. Some people i know keep their house in the low 60 and some even let it go into the 50s. They claim you get use to it. Sure if you want to keep your parka on all the time. My stove room is in the high 90s and the adjacent bar room is 85.
  11. Backwoods Savage

Loc:
    Michigan
    We've had a few folks actually open a door to let in some cold air! Bull! This is my house and I want it warm in here.
    Hearth Mistress and etiger2007 like this.
  12. WellSeasoned

WellSeasoned Guest

Wow, high 90's!
  13. fespo

fespo Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    South West burbs of Chicago
    Yep, I had to let the fire die down, open some window. Why don't you guys take the big heavy furry ugly warm thing off your back, you know my house is alway 70. I asked what do you guys keep your heat at ? Well 68 is the warmest and down to 60 at night. 60 at night!! no way! I am freezing at 68 and 60 is way to cold for me. This my brother, I told him to get a wood stove, we could do everything together and we could share. No way! its dirty and alot of work
  14. Waulie

Waulie Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Nothern Lower Michigan
    I did crack a window for a few minutes. I was nice and comfortable in my light paints and T-shirt, but apparently 70's in too much when you're dressed for the artic tundra.
  15. Backwoods Savage

Loc:
    Michigan
    Besides, then he might have too much money on hand....
  16. Pallet Pete

Pallet Pete Guest

;lol
  17. ailanthus

ailanthus Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    Shen Valley, VA
    LOL...roasted family is an annual christmas tradition at my folks' place!
    Hearth Mistress likes this.
  18. lopiliberty

lopiliberty Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Mineral County, WV
    usually have the same problem when family visits here. They are always saying 90 degrees it way to hot for them, and when I go to visit them you have to dress like your going to the north pole.
  19. begreen

begreen Mooderator Staff Member

Loc:
    South Puget Sound, WA
    It certainly is one way to get rid of guests quickly.
  20. suprz

suprz Member

Loc:
    Rhode island
    Usually when my wifes daughter is home, i hear "its cold in here". Then when i got the stove up and running, i hear " ugh, its too hot!" ......ya just cant please some folks! Honestly though, i keep the thermostat at 64 and with the stove going for about 8 hrs the top floor of the house where the stove is gets around 77. Which is too hot for me. I like it around 72 - 74
  21. lopiliberty

Loc:
    Mineral County, WV
    That's what usually happens. When they come here they leave early because there to hot or when I go to there house I leave early before my nose has icicles hanging out of it!!!
  22. coverdome

coverdome Member

Loc:
    North Central Maryland
    One of the great things about Winter is you get to cool off. I think its great to get to wear flannel and sweaters. Like to keep house about 68 during day and low 60's at night. Had my mom (84) and my FIL (86) as house guests for Christmas. Ran the stove harder than normal kept the house at 78 during the day and down to 72 at night. They both bitched about how cold the house was!!! The wife and I both were worrying about possible heat stroke, sleeping with our window open and the ceiling fan going.
  23. Pierre902

Pierre902 Member

Loc:
    Western MA
    I purposely let the coals die Christmas morning. Had the brunch and everyone was comfortable, no complaints from the family crew that arrived at 9am. As soon they left I fired it up and let it rip. Can't let the bones of the house cool down too much!
  24. fishingpol

fishingpol Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Merrimack Valley, MA
    Roasted cat. She wasn't quite cooked though.

IMG_2511.JPG
    begreen likes this.
  25. lopiliberty

Loc:
    Mineral County, WV
    I don't and won't let my fire go out or die down for anyone. This is my house. I would like to see the day when I'm cold in my own house. If you don't like the heat wear shorts and t-shirts or just stay home;)