Anyone ever painted a brass lopi door?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Dayne

Aug 11, 2013
utah
Ive never much liked the look of my brass lopi door, so since im replacing my gaskets before winter i decided it would be a good time to head down to my stove shop and pick up a new cover. Unfortunately i had no idea how much they cost! A new cover might be a little out of my price range right now. The rep at my stove shop suggested that i just paint my current door with high temp stove paint. Seems like a decent plan but i know how hard it can be to get a good bond on brass so i figured id ask here and see if anyone has had any experience with this. If so, how did the paint hold up? Any problems worth mentioning? Thanks in advance.

Ive never much liked the look of my brass lopi door, so since im replacing my gaskets before winter i decided it would be a good time to head down to my stove shop and pick up a new cover. Unfortunately i had no idea how much they cost! A new cover might be a little out of my price range right now. The rep at my stove shop suggested that i just paint my current door with high temp stove paint. Seems like a decent plan but i know how hard it can be to get a good bond on brass so i figured id ask here and see if anyone has had any experience with this. If so, how did the paint hold up? Any problems worth mentioning? Thanks in advance.

You would have to sand it with with 400 grit sand paper completely. Paint would not adhere to the polished surface of the brass unless well scuffed first.

I'm not familiar with your door, but it may be an upgrade to a plain door. Perhaps you could trade someone on Craigslist who has a plain one, if yours is in good shape. Or perhaps your dealer could steer you to folks who've bought the plain one in the past. Just some thoughts...I hate to see a good door go bad.

Status
Not open for further replies.