Anyone have a picture of their first Car!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Bxpellet

Feeling the Heat
Nov 1, 2007
Bronx, NY
Came across this the other day, not great shots but plenty of memories,

27 years later NY has the same color plates again!

Attachments

• scan0003.jpg
    scan0003.jpg
    104 KB · Views: 1,073
  • scan0002.jpg
    scan0002.jpg
    118.7 KB · Views: 1,017
  • scan0001.jpg
    scan0001.jpg
    101.4 KB · Views: 1,012
1950plymouth07.jpg

And I used to gas up at a station that looked almost like this picture. Most of the time the price was around $.20 to $.23 per gallon. Of course, that all ended during the mid 70's. Also, now we have to pump our own gas, check our own oil and tire pressure, etc. Heck, there used to be people that rushed to your car to fill it up. They had change makers on their belt so when done, you paid while still sitting in your car, hopefully with a girl beside you.
Texaco-oldpicture.jpg

Well, not really a car but here it is, 1976 ford E-150 custom van.
I think I was about 18 or 19 at the time.
BTW the pic was taken in front of my friends house on Dune RD in eastern LI. ( Not too shabby)

PS

BX I grew up in Riverdale (Bronx NY)

Attachments

• Picture 135.jpg
    Picture 135.jpg
    46.9 KB · Views: 880
Love it a bit older then mine but your picture is better, I started driving during the oil shortage, I work nights at a Disco :lol:

And would get off about 5:00 AM go to the gas station and wait on-line until it was open, with my odd or even plate number

My first tractor.This is in 1964. I don't have a picture of the 66' AMC Rambler, that was my first car.

SDC10644.jpg

Here is a picture of my second car.

Willyscar-1.jpg

That thing was great on gas mileage as it had overdrive. I really liked that car a lot too.

WES999 said:
Well, not really a car but here it is, 1976 ford E-150 custom van.
I think I was about 18 or 19 at the time.
BTW the pic was taken in front of my friends house on Dune RD in eastern LI. ( Not too shabby)

PS

BX I grew up in Riverdale (Bronx NY)

Riverdale is a nice section who would think thoses would be so expensive! I was up in Mass. 2 weekends ago My sons Hockey team played in a Tournament at the New England Sports Center, Nice Van

Backwoods Savage said:
Here is a picture of my second car.

Willyscar-1.jpg

That thing was great on gas mileage as it had overdrive. I really liked that car a lot too.

Great car not sure about the write up :-S

My first "car" was an '83 F250. I bought it in August 1990 about a week after my 20th birthday. This picture was taken on the way to Cape Cod a couple weeks after I bought it. I have owned a Ford truck since that except for a couple months in 1996.

Attachments

• Steve and the F250 8-90.jpg
    Steve and the F250 8-90.jpg
    98.3 KB · Views: 754
1970 Plymouth Roadrunner, 440 with aftermarket dual quad manifold running 2 Holley 750 double pumpers, factory 4 speed with Hurst "Pistol "Grip" shifter

Attachments

• IMG_0001.jpg
    IMG_0001.jpg
    63.5 KB · Views: 722
  • IMG.jpg
    IMG.jpg
    67.3 KB · Views: 739
'97 Ford Ranger. I still have it & don't plan on replacing it any time soon. It is an awesome truck.

Attachments

• alpenglow on the Bridgers- November 2010 (3)-reduced.jpg
    alpenglow on the Bridgers- November 2010 (3)-reduced.jpg
    60.8 KB · Views: 682
Woodsmen sweet car love it!!

My Ford had the Dunlop QT Qualifiers on it (can't tell from the picture) they weren't cheap had to save to get them.

After a night of drinking a Friend of mine called them GQ Waffle Irons, that name stuck for years, I still laugh when I see them!!

Keep posted if you have em!!

Field buggy in front. 1970 Ford Torino, 351C. Cows were terrified. Looked better in the 80's . . .

High school car in the rear. 1973 Olds Cutlass Supreme, 350R. 210K miles before the tree jumped in front of it. RIP.

Attachments

• DSCF3852 (Small).jpg
    DSCF3852 (Small).jpg
    75.8 KB · Views: 651
Elderthewelder said:
1970 Plymouth Roadrunner, 440 with aftermarket dual quad manifold running 2 Holley 750 double pumpers, factory 4 speed with Hurst "Pistol "Grip" shifter

Love it!!!!!!!

Here's an on-line pic of my "First Ride." Paid $80 for it in 68.
Didn't have any of that fancy pin-striping, tho...
Hadda put a 2x4 under the front seat to keep it from falling thru the floor.
Drove it about 3 weeks & it caught fire & burned out in the country where
we were bush drinking. Walked home to get my Dad's car so I could empty it out
& when I returned, my buddies had pushed it off a cliff...
Might still be down there...

Attachments

• 61 Corvair.jpg
    61 Corvair.jpg
    3.5 KB · Views: 600
DAKSY said:
Here's an on-line pic of my "First Ride." Paid $80 for it in 68.
Didn't have any of that fancy pin-striping, tho...
Hadda put a 2x4 under the front seat to keep it from falling thru the floor.
Drove it about 3 weeks & it caught fire & burned out in the country where
we were bush drinking. Walked home to get my Dad's car so I could empty it out
& when I returned, my buddies had pushed it off a cliff...
Might still be down there...

I had a green '61. Paid $300 in '67. Had to weld in angle iron to support the seat. Would get about 3" of water on the floorboards when going through a puddle. My wife still gets a kick out of "you gotta pick up your feet!"

My first car was an embarrassing Dad's-hand-me-down sedan. This is my second car, but the first one I chose and bought with my own money.

It is a 1971 Fiat 850 Sport Spider with a 903 cc, 49 hp in-line 4. Not much power, but it handled like a go-cart. I could take corners on Seymour Johnson AFB at the posted speed limit without slowing down or using brakes -- annoyed the SPs, but I wasn't breaking any rules.

My roommate had an MGB-GT. We would rat-race through the backwoods of North Carolina. He had me on acceleration, but I could take him in the turns. I can't even express how much I wish I had kept that car.

The picture is from 1979 at Davis Mills, NC.

fiatspider.jpg

Sometimes I wonder what I miss more; that Fiat Spider, or the young Air Force kid driving it....

My first car was a 1986 VW Jetta TDI. What a spectacular car! It was just perfect at 79 hp... but it did have lots of torque.

Lots of fond memories with that car.

Echoing other comments, I sure wouldnt mind if it was still in my driveway...

Cars since then, 1998 VW Jetta TDI and a 1999.5 VW Jetta TDI

Of the three, the 1998 was the best! All great cars.

Rick

Attachments

• 86 jettas engine 2 98.jpg
    86 jettas engine 2 98.jpg
    95.4 KB · Views: 474
  • 86 jettas engine 98.jpg
    86 jettas engine 98.jpg
    87.7 KB · Views: 466
  • 86 jettas interrior 98.jpg
    86 jettas interrior 98.jpg
    84.9 KB · Views: 491
  • Rick Jetta 99 or 00.jpg
    Rick Jetta 99 or 00.jpg
    156.3 KB · Views: 462
I had an 88 jetta. Same color. Bought it immaculate, low miles from an older couple. Biggest piece of crap I ever owned.
If my only my ex had driven off a Mulholland in that thing it would have taken care of 2 problems at once. KIDDING!!!! Well mostly :lol:

I had an 83 Shelby Charger that rivaled the jetta in problems, but that was such a fun, quick, sexy car, I could live with the rest.

darn you people with pics of your first cars! I dont think i have one of my 85 saab 900s sedan (not a hatchback).....simply the ugliest car ever built, but it was a blast to drive, and lived to see 287,000 on the odometer...headliner fell out (replaced by my old Bob Marley T-shirt), brother broke springs in passenger seat (he's a big guy 6'5" ~285lb). Drove it across the world...ok, across the country a few times. It went to Mardi Gras, where the valet at the Hampton Inn asked me, when getting into the driver seat..."so, what kind of cars is this?". Guess there not so many Swedish cars down south.

I pictured you deltothet in a yellow yugo for some reason....had a renault alliance as my first car....if I had a scanner would post it...got a corny pic with it in me cap and gown at graduation.......when I needed to floor it....I could have done better myself...like in Fred Flinstone's car.....with me feets... :lol:

GAMMA RAY said:
I pictured you deltothet in a yellow yugo for some reason....had a renault alliance as my first car....if I had a scanner would post it...got a corny pic with it in me cap and gown at graduation.......when I needed to floor it....I could have done better myself...like in Fred Flinstone's car.....with me feets... :lol:

a yugo eh?....I guess thats a weird compliment, maybe? Woulda gone for a yugo if they let the wooden ones in the US of A....saw a few of em in the former East Germany in the early 90's....brilliant really, wooden bodies....car breaks down, you can always stick it in the wood stove.

Status
Not open for further replies.